Not Happy With My 3D Paul Frank Monkey Head....

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 7 Apr 2011 , 9:15pm by plymouthcakery

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 4

Okay...so I finished my Paul frank 3D Monkey head today..I am really not happy with certain parts of the cake...some are good..some are okay....I can't for the life of me carve a cake that doesn't look like there are rings around it when you cover it in fondant... icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

1. How do I eliminate the rings??

I should have used my 8 inch half ball ontop as his head looks too flat...Lesson learned for next time icon_rolleyes.gif

The lips came out okay..They were RKT covered in fondant...The ears are going to be an issue though...I tried to make them thinner so they weren't too heavy but I think they are going to fall out from the transport.As of now they seem secure but I'll have to tell the customer to take them out and re-insert at the party...

2.Can I use candy melts inside to help glue them in or will that just cause them to become heavier when hardened and fall out too??

Here is the link...Any constructive critcism would help for next time...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79678712@N00/5598535894/

3 replies
sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 4

I think it turned out great! All I can suggest is that when you crumb coat before applying the fondant, maybe you can go over the space where they stack a second time? If you see anything after you buttercream it, it will show up under the fondant. I would think that candy melts would help keep them in, but I guess it depends on how far they travel, how gentle they are.

Again, I think it's a really ncie cake!

caferock05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caferock05 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 4

It is a really nice cake. I like it...
I was just checking out your other cakes and they are really cool! My gosh.. the shark cake.. That's FREAKIN' AWESOME!!

plymouthcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plymouthcakery Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 4

I think it looks great! I had the same problem with my teapot cake, but the client didn't even notice. Probably more buttercream over the cakes before putting on the fondant would do the trick. Good work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%