Smoothing Out Buttercream Icing With Piece Of Soda Pop Bottl

Decorating By raknudtson Updated 8 Apr 2011 , 12:59am by labmom

raknudtson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raknudtson Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 5

Somehwere in the Cake Central forums I saw an article about how the baker cut a piece of a soda bottle and used to to round the top edge of a cake. Can someone please help me in finding the article"""

4 replies
cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 5

Hmmm...didn't realize that little tidbit was here in cc! Can't help you find the article, but I have one of those handy things. icon_biggrin.gif

The strip is cut from the "shoulder" of the soda bottle, maybe 4"-5" long and 1 1/2" wide, with a rounded edge at the curved end of the strip.
Does that make sense?

Anywho- hope someone can find the article for you - and hope it has a pic so you can see it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 5

Actually its a video. I have it somewhere. Be advised, though, it doesn't work as easily as advertised.

tina27a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tina27a Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 5
labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:59am
post #5 of 5

Hi, just looked at the post on the smothing of cakes to look like fondant. I bought the video how to do it. It suggests that you use the plastic that they use at bakerys for collars around cakes. I found them at a local cake shop.
12/$2.95 or something like that. The video is great..they guy is so quick.

I haven't tried it yet but I do always use viva paper towels. It smooths the cakes so nice. Other brands just don't work. There is a wonderful video on youtube about how to smooth with viva towels . I think it is by edna but you can find it easy if you just search. but you would swear it is fondant when done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%