What Every Cake Designer Wants To Hear...

Decorating By buttercuppie Updated 7 Apr 2011 , 3:51pm by jones5cm

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:10pm
post #1 of 11

So, my cell phone rang last night and honestly I was too tired to answer so I let it go to voicemail. I ended up checking it about 10 minutes later and it was a gentlemen looking to have a birthday cake for this weekend...40 LAYERS for his son's 40th birthday!!!! Yes, he acknowledged that it was crazy...he had a problem with his Chef so at this point he was desperately looking for a replacement.

I unfortunately couldn't do it...because I'm actually out of town this weekend...but here's the kicker...

...before I told him I couldn't do it he said...ready for it...

PRICE IS NO OBJECT!!!

And I know that he meant it...(and then he tried to do it for Friday and I'm already booked and he repeated it...PRICE IS NO OBJECT!!!)

Of ALL the weekends when I'm here (and that's about 50 weekends out of the year) he calls for the one when I"m not...LOL!!!

Hopefully I'll get that type of a phone call again...when I'm actually here!
icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 11

Argghhhhhh! icon_cry.gif What a dream order! I agree, hope you get that phone call in the future...from him again!

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 11

That really sucks. There aren't too many "price is no object" people out there.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 11

WOW. That is ONE. BIG. CAKE.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 11

I think the Agbay would pay for itself with that order. icon_biggrin.gif

buttercuppie Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 11

And the kicker is...he sounded like a really nice man and was telling me the story behind the 40 layer cake before I could get out that I couldn't do it...

...I felt so bad (money aside) because all he was trying to do was have a great party for his son...

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 11

Um, how much would it cost to reschedule your trip? icon_lol.gif

buttercuppie Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:16pm
post #8 of 11

LOL...taking my church youth group to an all day concert...they've been looking forward to it for months...

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:19pm
post #9 of 11

40 layers?! I can't even imagine! I'd try to find someone else to do the church trip!

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:28pm
post #10 of 11

Yeah, I don't blame you. Somethings don't have a price.
Too bad you can't have someone take over your other orders & you take the whale! LOL!

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:51pm
post #11 of 11

This is going to sound like I'm adding insult to injury; but I've got to tell it...last month or so I got a call from a lady wanting a last minute 'snowtubing' cake for her 10 yr old grandson (a caker cancelled out on her at the last minute). The call came in on Monday morning to be delivered on Saturday. she was very specific about the design (which always scares me anyway because that leaves no room for plan B!). It was going to be my only w/e 'off' from a very busy couple of month's cake orders; but I took the order anyway - I said 'YES' to the 'money is not an object' remarkicon_smile.gif Bottom line is that I upped my price for being last minute PLUS GOT A $30 TIP!! I don't think that chance will ever come around again! Of course a planned w/e off from caking is just a bit different than a planned trip with the youth group...my story would have probably ended like yours did buttercuppie!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%