Strawberry Cream Cheese, Hold The Strawberries...??

Baking By katibeth88 Updated 8 Apr 2011 , 7:44am by JanH

katibeth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 2:38am
post #1 of 14

Hey guys! I have an order for a cake with strawberry cream cheese icing with NO strawberries... HOW?!
I use strawberry jello for fondant, but can I use it for frosting some way?

THANKS

13 replies
NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 2:51am
post #2 of 14

I used some strawberry extract the other day in my regular Crusting Cream Cheese recipe and it tasted really good.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:20am
post #3 of 14

I used LorAnn Strawberry flavor Oil in my cream cheese...I got it at a local supply shop you don't need a lot it is concentrated & it didn't change the consistency I've even used this oil to flavor fondant. If you can't find it locally you can get it at GSA

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=24595&name=Strawberry%20Flavor%20%20by%20LorAnn%20Oils

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 4:17am
post #4 of 14

Can you use a gourmet strawberry jam and extract?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 4:30am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Can you use a gourmet strawberry jam and extract?

Cream cheese frosting can be looser to start with than standard b/c.... If you add enough jam to make a noticeable flavor impact, it could wind up too thin (and/or too sweet) to be satisfactory.

I'd go with just the strawberry extract. If you really want to add strawberry bits, I'd add a touch of Polaners all fruit (strawberry).

HTH

scp1127 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 6:02am
post #6 of 14

Jan, I must completely disagree.

I add jam to my buttercream all the time. I have a wholesaler that has won numerous gourmet food awards and I use her jams in my european and cream cheese icings. I can add a large amount and maintain structure. Sometimes I add natural extracts for color or a burst of flavor along with the jams. I own an artisan bakery and the icings are never sloppy. They also keep their shape piped on a cake or swirled with a large star tip on a cupcake.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:23pm
post #7 of 14

scp1127 I agree ... The outcome would definitely depend on your cream cheese recipe. The one I use crust just like BC. So yes it can be added to cream cheese without a problem. Just depends what the customer wants

scp1127 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 2:23am
post #8 of 14

The jams I found are incredible. They are from Bittersweet Herb Farm. They have a great wholesale program. I don't use purees anymore. I pair the jams with Olive Nation extracts.

Laurelj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurelj Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 3:06am
post #9 of 14

I agree with SPC, the Olive Nations Strawberry flavoring is awesome. I liked their flavoring so much i am going to try some of the other flavors.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 3:17am
post #10 of 14
Quote:

The jams I found are incredible. They are from Bittersweet Herb Farm. They have a great wholesale program. I don't use purees anymore. I pair the jams with Olive Nation extracts.

scp1127, I just googled Bittersweet jams....mmmmm they sound yummy. I make my own jams (the old fashioned way without pectin) and I love the idea of liqueurs added to them. I'm going to try that!

Katibeth, strawberry jam tastes delicious in cream cheese icing, but I don't add too much at once....just add a bit at a time until it looks and tastes the way you like.
Lorann also makes a natural strawberry flavoring that someone was talking about on another thread:
https://www.lorannoils.com/c-202-new-natural-flavors.aspx

Strawberry flavor is enhanced with vanilla, so don't skip it in your icing. In fact, one of my favorite homemade jam flavors is strawberry vanilla bean. icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 3:18am
post #11 of 14

Laurelj, I have raspberry, key lime, lemon, and a few more. You can put a drop on your finger and it tastes so good. The raspberry is strong in the bottle. I called the company and asked if it was ok. He said, "Yes, we just made that batch". He explained that the raspberry did smell stronger. It's a small company with great customer service. I like it that the person answering the phone is well educated on the products. Get on their email list and they have great specials.

JanH Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 5:07am
post #12 of 14
Quote:

Jan, I must completely disagree.

I add jam to my buttercream all the time. I have a wholesaler that has won numerous gourmet food awards and I use her jams in my european and cream cheese icings. I can add a large amount and maintain structure. Sometimes I add natural extracts for color or a burst of flavor along with the jams. I own an artisan bakery and the icings are never sloppy. They also keep their shape piped on a cake or swirled with a large star tip on a cupcake.

Only basing my response on my own experience, and from reading numerous threads on how difficult it is to decorate with cream cheese frosting.

Of course, individual results will vary depending on the recipe used. I use a pretty standard American b/c and tried adding sleeved pastry filling to make raspberry frosting and by the time the flavor was discernible - the frosting was a really sweet soup. icon_cry.gif

Some members it seems experience difficulty decorating with their cream cheese frostings:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-606414-.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-602187-.html

I would certainly love to have your cream cheese frosting recipe icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 5:58am
post #13 of 14

Jan, I don't have the recipe in front of me, but it is cream cheese and more butter than most recipes. Maybe the butter keeps it stiffer. I do not bring those two ingredients to room temp, I let the KA do it until it is ready to add other ingredients, but still stiff. I add the powdered sugar, less than most recipes. Then I add the jam. I don't use the watery part of the jam and it may be stiffer than other jams, as I have never tried any other brand. I frost the cake or cupcakes with the icing at the best temp for frosting. I have added the syrup from Bananas Foster to this recipe and it works ok too, just don't add too much. My rooms are cool. I lightly refrigerate the cake to set it. I am not one to leave my cream cheese cakes out of the refrigerator and I do not get any drying. My cakes are very moist to begin with.

FromScratchSF shared her cream cheese SMBC. For my next cake with cream cheese, I will be trying hers. All of the european buttercreams hold up well to added ingredients.

I think it comes down to controlling the temperature. If it needs to sit out, make sure it is cold to begin with. Put it in the refrigerator when not serving, and take it back out a half hour before re-serving. If people have problems with the cake drying in the refrigerator, they may need another recipe to balance the cake and icing needs.

JanH Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 7:44am
post #14 of 14

Thanks so much for all the great info, scp1127! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Have yet to make a SMBC, but I do have that as one of the goals on my bucket list. tapedshut.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%