2 Tier Cake

Decorating By Lynn1971 Updated 7 Apr 2011 , 1:46am by DeezTreatz

Lynn1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynn1971 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:19am
post #1 of 4

I want to make a 2 tier cake but Im not sure if I am supposed to just lay the top cake on top of the bottom cake by itself or should it be sitting on something to keep the cakes from collapsing or sinking in?

3 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:26am
post #2 of 4

You always need to support upper tiers. Each tier should be on it's own cake board (cardboard or foam core). And in the case of a two tier, you should use bubble tea straws or wooden dowels to support the tier. It's the dowels that support it, not the cake it's sitting on.

Megan1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megan1979 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:26am
post #3 of 4

Hiya, you need to pop a support system into the bottom cake. I use dowels, then place the second cake ontop. The second cake will also need to be on a cake board. Here is a link to an example http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/food-facts/how-to-make-a-wedding-cake.htm

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:46am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarks0

You always need to support upper tiers. Each tier should be on it's own cake board (cardboard or foam core). And in the case of a two tier, you should use bubble tea straws or wooden dowels to support the tier. It's the dowels that support it, not the cake it's sitting on.

That's the ticket!
For your top tier - buy your cake board the exact same size as the cake pan so that you cannot see it - just flawless!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%