Help Me Please....why Doesnt My Buttercream Come Out Right?

Baking By siomayra Updated 7 Apr 2011 , 12:57am by siomayra

siomayra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
siomayra Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone I'm new to cake central I love to bake and decorate cakes!!!! But I have been having a real hard time making my butter cream and royal cream for some reason it doesn't come out the way its suppose to be. I follow the directions and it still doesn't work. Please if anyone could give me some tips on how to overcome this I would appreciate it!!!!! I have to major cakes coming up but I want to make my own butter cream instead of the already made for you. icon_sad.gif

8 replies
awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 9

What do you mean that it doesn't come out right? What happens to it? What recipe are you using? I had a problem using Crisco and had to switch to Walmart brand shortening because the butter and shortening would separate. Crisco doesn't have any transfat in it anymore.

mamabaer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabaer Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 9

someone just posted a thread about this today. Sugar shack has a video on youtube that helps alot if you use her recipe. I use her mixing method, but with the Buttercream Dream recipe found here on CC.

It should help a lot! You have to do a double batch to get the frosting up over the mixing paddle so the air stays out of the frosting.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:01am
post #4 of 9

Can't help you if you don't say what's happening.

And it's Royal Icing not Cream unless you're talking about something else. You probably need to beat it longer if it's not setting up. It does take a while.

My recipe for buttercream has no Crisco in it.
8 ounces of real butter softened (2 sticks),
8 ounces (1 box) cream cheese softened,
One 2-lb package of powdered sugar. (use pure cane sugar)
Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth and slowly add powdered sugar.
If you used unsalted butter add a pinch of salt to it. That's it. Hard to screw up.

siomayra Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:16am
post #5 of 9

Sorry that it took a little to get back to u. Today is my first day on the site. I used regular butter, vanilla, milk I used powdered super could that be the problem it wasn't pure cane cause the recipe called for powdered. And while I was mixing it wasn't taking form it was runny. I was sad and frustrated cause this always happens to me.

siomayra Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:20am
post #6 of 9

I'm going to try your recipe tomorrow I have some cupcakes to make. Now depending mixer you have doesn't it make a difference? Cause the minute I turn mines on its like medium speed?

siomayra Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:27am
post #7 of 9

I got the recipe from a cupcake book I'm not to used to dealing with icing. What recipe do u use for royal icing I would like to learn both. After u make your buttercream do u use right away or let it chill for a little

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:38am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by siomayra

Sorry that it took a little to get back to u. Today is my first day on the site. I used regular butter, vanilla, milk I used powdered super could that be the problem it wasn't pure cane cause the recipe called for powdered. And while I was mixing it wasn't taking form it was runny. I was sad and frustrated cause this always happens to me.

Chances are you put too much liquid in if it's runny.
And YES...use POWDERED SUGAR...just make sure it's made with sugar cane and not beet sugar. (look for name brands like C & H or Dominoes). My recipe calls for no liquid so you should not have a problem. You can keep it in the fridge but you will have to get it to room temp and beat it again in your mixer to smooth it. If it is a bit too stiff add a teaspoon of water or milk. You won't need much.
As far as Royal Icing is concerned, there are plenty of recipes around...I use a mix.
It sounds like you just need to look at some tutorials on YouTube. Just go to YouTube and type in the search box what it is you are wanting to learn about. Tonedna here on CC has some awesome tutorials and it really does help to see someone doing it. Good luck!

siomayra Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:57am
post #9 of 9

Oh okay I didn't look at that the one I was using was soft and smooth like powder. I'm gonna try ur recipe tomorrow. I just get confused wig what brands to buy cause everything is different but I will buy that sugar brand tomorrow can't wait to try it. And thank u sooo much for ur help and ur patience. icon_smile.gif I will let u know how it turns out for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%