Cake Stuck To The Pan...

Decorating By pinky317 Updated 9 Apr 2011 , 12:39am by pinky317

pinky317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinky317 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 12

A huge chunk from both pans stuck! It was my fault, I forgot to put flour in the pan...I put the crumbled chunks back on top of the cake while hot and put the cakes in the feezer. I am making a dog cake using the tutorial from here, so that means I will be cutting the 9" rounds and stacking them on there sides. This is pretty important because I may get more orders from it but it is also a donated cake. Would you remake the cakes or do you think once I ice them and fill them(using buttercream) they will sit up ok?

11 replies
wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 12

Im sorry that happened to you . I discovered the wonders of Wilton cake release on this site recently and I have never had a problem since !
Works every time icon_smile.gif

pinky317 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggler

Im sorry that happened to you . I discovered the wonders of Wilton cake release on this site recently and I have never had a problem since !
Works every time icon_smile.gif

Normally it doesnt. I usually layer my pan with crisco, veg. oil and the dust with flour. Forgot the flour this time! Not good!

hollys_hobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollys_hobby Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 12

I use Pam Baking spray, it has flour in it, it has NEVER failed me! So quick and easy too!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 12

I just use spray in my pans however, I always line the bottom of the pan with a parchment circle. I love the parchment because if you forget to take the cakes out of the pans you can turn them over and no cake stuck in the bottom. Also when you peel the paper off it does not stick to the cool cake and tear chunks out. I spray the sides of the pan and then lay the parchment down and spray it. No messy oils, shortening and flour. Yuck! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
evelyn

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 12

Go ahead and use what you have. I had my last cake's sides flake off for some reason and I ended up gluing it with buttercream...let it set in the fridge to harden then frost again.
You can also make cake spackle. Mix up a paste of buttercream and cake crumbs and put that where you need to shape or fill in. I was doing it before I even knew it had a name! I saw it on one of the Fabulous Cakes shows and that's what they called it. It works great and you don't really see anything once the cake is cut even!

pinky317 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Go ahead and use what you have. I had my last cake's sides flake off for some reason and I ended up gluing it with buttercream...let it set in the fridge to harden then frost again.
You can also make cake spackle. Mix up a paste of buttercream and cake crumbs and put that where you need to shape or fill in. I was doing it before I even knew it had a name! I saw it on one of the Fabulous Cakes shows and that's what they called it. It works great and you don't really see anything once the cake is cut even!

Great advice! Thank you! Im afraid it wont be sturdy enough to hold the fondant... What do you think? Its pretty chopped up

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 11:34pm
post #8 of 12

A quote from carmijoke "You can also make cake spackle. Mix up a paste of buttercream and cake crumbs and put that where you need to shape or fill in."
LOL, I have done the same thing for years with a recipe that no matter what I lose some (not coming out of the pan) when I try to decorate. I did not realize this is what it's called!!! Thanks for what I call "the technical terms, i.e. yucky". icon_lol.gif
evelyn

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 12

![/quote]Great advice! Thank you! Im afraid it wont be sturdy enough to hold the fondant... What do you think? Its pretty chopped up[/quote]

Don't really know. I've seen cake shows where they cake spackle the heck out of a carved cake and then cover it with fondant. I think it depends on how solid the spackle is. That's why refrigeration is important. If it's sealed pretty solid with a layer of fondant, it will probably hold up pretty well. Just depends on whether it's a 'load bearing' area that's involved. Honestly, if i were you, I'd probably go ahead and bake another cake since this is the first time you've done it. You can always experiment with the crumbled cake to see if it works in case it happens again. Or freeze the cake for future spackling! thumbs_up.gif

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 6:31pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollys_hobby

I use Pam Baking spray, it has flour in it, it has NEVER failed me! So quick and easy too!

That's ,my only choice for pan release. I've bought so called "prefessional" pan releases at restaurant supplies and none hold a candle to Pam for Baking.

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 6:54pm
post #11 of 12

Home made pan release: 1cup flour,1cup solid shortening and 1 cup oil (veg.or canola ok) mix well in mixer, turns smooth and creamy. Store in a covered container in the frig. When you need it take it out and brush your pans. good to go icon_smile.gif

pinky317 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 12:39am
post #12 of 12

Well he held up! Thanks for all the advice! I dont know how to attach a pic so check him out in my photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%