Help With Layering Larger Cakes...

Decorating By chinacat77 Updated 6 Apr 2011 , 3:54pm by chinacat77

chinacat77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinacat77 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 4

I have yet to freeze a cake, but after all the reading i have been doing here on cc I am getting the idea that freezing is the way to go..this should help me considerably with larger sheet cakes! I have read quite a few posts on here about the dos and donts of freezing so i wont fear the process as much but I have this one burning question....I posted this question about a week ago...had 60 people read the post but not one replied icon_cry.gif

'how do you all get the top portion of your larger layered cakes onto the bottom iced layer?'

i would appreciate any tips, tricks etc. so now that I am going to be freezing the cake...say its a half sheet....do i take one layer out of the freezer, ice then take the next layer out and flip onto bottom layer while frozen? i am always a nervous wreck getting larger cakes layered and getting them on straight! frozen cake sounds like a dream to work with, and dont know why i havent done this before! Just want to be sure the frozen cake wont affect the icing w. condensation. thanks so much!

3 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 4

Yes, you can do it like that. It is easier to move a large slab of frozen cake if it falls in the wrong place, less chance of it breaking if you have to shift it. But I would wait for it to thaw before crumbcoating/icing the whole cake once layered.
Don't forget you can also use a cookie sheet to slide one layer on top of the bottom layer. See this video by sweetwise:

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 4

If I tort a sheet cake, after it is sliced, I very gently slide a cake board underneatth the top layer and slide it underneath. Hope this helps!

chinacat77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinacat77 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 4

ohhh thank you for that link. first time ive heard of sweetwise...watched a bunch of her videos....now i want one of those vinyl mats!! lol. i never thought to use a cookie sheet to lift and layer the cake, i always use a cake board and sometimes they bend from the weight of the cake. i would love to know what recipe she uses, after leveling she folded her cake scraps like a piece of paper. lol!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%