Used Cake Disaster To Invent Delicious New Dessert!

Decorating By kokopellimom Updated 9 Apr 2011 , 6:50am by cheatize

kokopellimom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopellimom Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 9

So, my husband announced last night at 9:00 pm that he was supposed to bring a dessert for a potluck dinner today. (He's the boss, so it would look really bad to show up with nothing!) I offered to make a chocolate pound cake from a recipe a friend had passed on to me. I have wanted to make it, and this seemed like a good opportunity.

She had specifically said NOT to flour the greased pan, so I went against my better judgement. Never again! icon_cry.gif

When I turned the cake out of the pan, it broke apart in a horrible way. There was no gluing this thing back together with icing - it was toast. It was also 11:30 pm. icon_mad.gif

I couldn't get to sleep, and decided to try to salvage the cake. I made a quick chocolate pudding from scratch (THANK YOU, internet), pulled a tub of cool whip from the freezer, chopped the cake into cubes and layered these items in like a trifle - cake, pudding, cool whip, repeat. I sprinkled the top with a handful of chocolate chips. Then put the whole thing in the fridge to chill overnight.

I made a tiny parfait of this to test, since I didn't want to send in something awful! I tasted it this morning, and I had a hard time letting my hubby take the rest of it to work - I wanted to keep it and eat the whole thing!

So I learned two lessons:
1) Always FLOUR a Bundt pan. Period.
2) Necessity really IS the mother of invention. Now I have a yummy new dessert in my arsenal! icon_biggrin.gif

Any suggestions for a name for this new confection? It's really, really tasty.

8 replies
Ahunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ahunt Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:43am
post #2 of 9

I love this! I actually take this to a lot of family functions. I make a half sheet and cut into pieces and layer. We call it punch bowl cake cuz thats what I normally serve it in. Have tried white cake and vanilla puddingtoo and its very yummy! Way to think on your toes! thumbs_up.gif

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:20pm
post #3 of 9

I think that is still a trifle. I make some thing similar but with chocolate cake, cherry pie filling, chocolate pudding, and either cool whip or whipped cream. It is tasty!

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentCakeBaker

I think that is still a trifle. I make some thing similar but with chocolate cake, cherry pie filling, chocolate pudding, and either cool whip or whipped cream. It is tasty!

Why oh why did I go off chocolate and cake for Lent??? I would be so making this tonight all for me if I wasn't!!

kokopellimom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopellimom Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:

So it is still a trifle, even without the fruit, etc.? I was afraid to call it a trifle, since it was missing the fruit! icon_smile.gif

valerieInga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerieInga Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 9

I think it would still be called a trifle too, I make one very similar but add hot fudge icecream topping on the cake and scor bits then the pudding and whipped cream. Sprinkle more scor bits on the very top after the whipped cream. It's called Death by Chocolate, but at least you die happy. icon_wink.gif

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:

I'm making something similar for a function tomorrow, but I'm using brownies and adding some cream cheese to the mix. I agree it's still a trifle.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 9

I guess. I'm not from England so I just looked it up in the dictionary. Maybe technically it's not if it doesn't have fruit, i really don't know. I do know that I have seen tons and tons of recieps like yours in magazines and food website, and they all call it a trifle. I always thought a trifle was broken up pieces of cake, whipped cream, and other stuff, all layered in a clear bowl. I learn something new every day.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 6:50am
post #9 of 9

I've done it with brownies, too. Yum!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%