Lining Cake Pans With Parchment Paper

Decorating By Cohaja12 Updated 10 Jun 2011 , 3:36am by jason_kraft

Cohaja12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cohaja12 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 21

Seems so tedious. Tracing the circle and cutting it out, blah!

Can I forgo lining with parchment paper? And just spray the pan with something like Baker's Joy??

What do you all do??

TIA

Missy

20 replies
agouti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agouti Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 21

i usually spray pans with baking spray and then flour them. i haven't had a problem with this method so far. i only line my springform pans with parchment paper to make removing the cake even easier. hth!

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 21

I am a firm believer in lining with parchment or waxpaper. (I only do the bottom )

Try doing a google search for parchment circles and you might be surprised by what you find available!
icon_biggrin.gif

Hazel

Mika0201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mika0201 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 21

I've used Baker's Joy without any problems. I've also made kind of a homemade Baker's Joy by combining equal parts of shortening, vegetable oil and flour. It works great. Even on 3D pans.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHazel

I am a firm believer in lining with parchment or waxpaper. (I only do the bottom )

Me, too! Why mess with success?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 21

Parchment cake circles ensure that your cake will always come out of the pan, even after they have cooled. You can purchase these cake circles in any size (pre-cut!) from bakery supply stores. I would never bake a cake without a parchment liner.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 11:52pm
post #7 of 21

I crisco sides & bottom & then put parchment on the bottom. It works every time!

soupercb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soupercb Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 12:11am
post #8 of 21

I was getting so frustrated by crumbling sides of cake which were sticking to the bottoms of the pans, no matter how well I floured and greased them. I tried wilton's cake release and baker's joy as well. It finally hit me that I should try parchment cirlces. I found some at the baking supply store and I have only used them a few times, but I haven't had any of the troubles that I was having before!

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 12:18am
post #9 of 21

I use waxed paper instead of the more expensive parchment. Works like a charm. If you are concerned about the tedious project of cutting the papers out, cut a whole bunch at once. Cut your most used sizes, 6", 8", 9", 10", etc.; store them between cake boards. Now you'll have papers whenever you need them.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 1:57am
post #10 of 21

I used to use Baker's Joy or grease & flour technique, which prevented sticking but always left a crust on the cake. Now I use Crisco on the sides and parchment on the bottom. NO sticking and NO crusty edges!!!!

Thanks to Indydebi for sharing information about this. icon_smile.gif

Kristie925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristie925 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 2:24am
post #11 of 21

I started making cakes using all the techniques my MIL taught me, cake release being one of them. I've improved upon many of the techniques she's taught me, so I guess I should give parchment a go!

DecoratedDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratedDreams Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 12:59am
post #12 of 21

So I am curious - if you use the parchment in the bottom - what do you use on the sides - crisco and flour? Just seems like double duty?

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 1:09am
post #13 of 21

You can also try bakers release: 1cup flour-1cup solid shortening-1cup liquid oil. Mix well till creamy keep in a container in the frig and just brush pans liberally. Great if you don't like the parchment. I myself prefer the wax paper bottom and sides, never have to trim cakes and are always supper moist.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 1:14am
post #14 of 21

I spray the sides with bakers joy and then insert the parchment circle- which I buy pre- cut. I refuse to bake a cake without parchment paper. Why take the chance of wasting time and ingredients on something that may not turn out perfect? Things do turn out perfect with parchment paper.

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 2:16am
post #15 of 21

As a hobby baker, I just spray the sides and use the cheaper waxed paper on the bottom. Circles are easy to cut out while cake is mixing. I double the waxed paper and just use the pointed end of my scissors and "trace" around the bottom of the pan, then cut two perfect circles. It takes about 1 minute. Cakes have always released and I have been doing this for at least 50 years. icon_wink.gif .

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 2:47am
post #16 of 21

I always use parchement in the bottom and just cooking spray on the sides. It works great. Also, I put a few flower nails between the parchment and the pan, and that works great - the nails pop right out.

DH2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DH2008 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 3:05am
post #17 of 21

No need to trace a circle or square. I just spray the sides with Bakers Joy & freehand cut a square or circle for the bottom. It doesn't have to fit perfectly. Works for me every time. thumbs_up.gif

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 3:06am
post #18 of 21

yep i use parchment or wax paper to line every cake i do! never have any problems, and i don't want to risk it

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 3:13am
post #19 of 21

I use parchment paper on bottom and sides, double layer for both which perhaps is overkill, but it's just what I've always done and seems to help stop the edges of the cake from browing too fast.

Cutting out circles takes no time at all. I get a few layers of parchment, trace around the tin in pencil onto the top parchment, fold the stack of them into quarters and cut them all together just slightly in from my pencil line.

luv2bake4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake4u Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 3:35am
post #20 of 21

I also use to cut out parchment circles until I began making my own pan grease that was stated above - equal amounts of shortening,oil and flour,,,works like a charm. I only use the grease now and a flower nail in the cake,,,,,I let the cake cool for a few minutes and then flip it over and the cake comes right out.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 3:36am
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

Parchment cake circles ensure that your cake will always come out of the pan, even after they have cooled. You can purchase these cake circles in any size (pre-cut!) from bakery supply stores. I would never bake a cake without a parchment liner.

Same here, we buy pre-cut parchment circles. The saved labor time is well worth the higher price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%