When Size Matters...

Decorating By cutiepiecupcake Updated 6 Apr 2011 , 2:40am by Bec005

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 3

Ok.. I have confused myself! I have a wedding cake due in 3 weeks that I quoted back in January. Keep in mind that when quoting this cake I referred to the 'Wilton Wedding Cake Guide' - 60 serves required for 'tea & coffee' not dessert - square cake with 3 tiers (one centre tier dummy + fruit cake top tier for anniversary). I offered to start at a 12" for the base thinking it would feed 72 as suggested in the Wilton guide.. however, I then stumbled across Earlene's serving guide which suggests a 12" square only feeds 60! icon_surprised.gif That means the bride and groom would be 5 serves short! I was thinking of ditching the dummy and making a second tier in a different flavour at my own expense just incase the 12" isn't enough. I could just say I had an order cancelled at the last minute and I don't like to freeze my fresh cakes and didn't wish for it to go to waste?!
Is my first quote correct? Or do I need to ditch the dummy for real cake?

2 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 12:21am
post #2 of 3

Stick with the Wilton wedding cake guide. It is the industry standard chart for adequate 8 cu. in. servings. If you use any chart other than Wilton, you're giving away extra cake for free.

Bec005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bec005 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 2:40am
post #3 of 3

Hi,

dessert serves in Australia are 1x2 inch, coffee serves are 1x1 inch, that is the standard here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%