Bath Tub Doll

Decorating By Sam_paggers Updated 5 Apr 2011 , 6:17pm by Sam_paggers

Sam_paggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sam_paggers Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 9:19am
post #1 of 3

Hi all,

I would love to make my mum a 'bath tub' cake as she almost lives in the bath these days. I have got a pretty good idea of how i am going to go about it. However, I am not very good at modelling (the little I have tried) and have seen lots of photos where people have used dolls/barbies. Can someone please advise how this is done without loosing too much cake. I have barbies at my disposal (I baby sit quite a lot), so is it best to chop one half so i am only using the torso to come out the cake?

This picture shows what i mean:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/500833

Thank you for any help here!
Sam
xxx

2 replies
pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 12:16pm
post #2 of 3

I see what you mean, but please, not under ANY circumstances EVER use some kids toy in a cake that you expect others to eat! You don't know where that toy has been! No amount of soap and water will ever get all of the germs and bacteria off that thing! Wilton sells 1/2 dolls that are made to be inserted into cake. They are readily availibly if not at your local supply store, then go through the internet. They are very inexpensive as well.

I'm sorry if I offend, but I'd rather bring to light how un sanitary it is using already played with, left on the floor, slobbered on by the family dog, played with nosed picked little fingers, that toy actually is. Plus, that Barbie plastic is not food grade. Thats stuff leaches into your food... do you really want that in something your going to eat?

Sam_paggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sam_paggers Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your answer...I was hoping it would be ok if i cling-filmed the base of the doll where it will be in contact with cake (as I have seen on some the doll cake tutorials). Although given what you have said I would at least buy a new one!!

I have looked at the wilton half doll, but to buy online (with shipping) within the UK its around £7 which seems like a lot when I can get a new barbie at the local top shop for £3. However, I am still not sure on the logistics of doing this! Does anyone in the UK know of a cheaper half-doll supplier?

I am not always this stingy with money but I bumped ito a police car a few months back and am now facing a rocketing insurance rate.

Sam
xxx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%