Mini Fondant Hats

Decorating By Sweet-Melissa Updated 4 Apr 2011 , 10:01pm by DianeLM

Sweet-Melissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Melissa Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 2

I need small/mini Kentucky Derby style hats for hat themed bridal shower I am baking. Please give me pointers, references to tools etc. to make these. I've tried making these with different round shaped tools but cannot get a smooth, even &polished look.

Thanks![/b]

1 reply
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 2

You mean like a wide brimmed bonnet type hat? Are these fondant decorations or actual cakes? Here are some instructions for fondant decorations.

You can make it in two pieces like this: cut the brim with a round cutter (or oval as a variation). Roll out some fondant very thick. Place a piece of plastic wrap over the fondant. Use a small round cutter to cut out the crown. The plastic wrap will allow give you a rounded shape, like a half-sphere, rather than a sharp edge. Cut a thin ribbon of fondant to wrap around the base of the crown.

You can make it look like it's made from one solid piece if you cut out a half-sphere, using the plastic wrap method. Then, lay a large, round piece of fondant over the half-sphere and smooth.

Use impression mats to add texture and interest to your hats. A small flower plunger cutter would be helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%