Bows Keep Cracking

Decorating By Cazzaroony Updated 4 Apr 2011 , 8:52pm by robinmarie

Cazzaroony Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cazzaroony Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all

I am trying to do a present cake for my Mums 60th Birthday. So I am practising my bows. I have made 3 so far this afternoon and each one is cracking?? I have rolled out fondant icing and then placed kitchen paper in the loops to make the bow, but cracks are appearing and when I try and move them they crack even more icon_mad.gif

Am I not leaving them to dry long enough do you think?

I am new to this so please help!!

Thanks all

xxx icon_smile.gif

8 replies
aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 9

i think you are moving them too soon. let them dry overnight before touching them. personally, i have the best luck making bows out of a 1/2 fondant, 1/2 gumpaste mix. good luck!

kenlew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kenlew Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 9

instead of making your loops laying flat with paper in the loop, make all your loops and lay them on their edge to dry. (so the loops will be on their sides, like tear drops). then let them dry overnight or longer. depending on the color of the fondant (moisture level) you may need to let them dry for several days or you can use a gum paste/fondant mixture.

by letting the loops dry on their edges, you won't need to stuff them with paper and the loops wont sag and crack.

once they are dry, you can trim the ends (where the two ends of the loop are "glued" together) with scissors to help the loops fit together to stack/assemble the bow.

I hope this helps. thumbs_up.gif

Cazzaroony Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 9

well!! thats just fab advice!!!! Im going to try again now and try to dry them on their sides...

I think I am too giddy trying to move them too soon.....

I was also trying to pinch the two loops together rather than wait till dry and then glue together.

I will try again....

Thank you very much!

xxx

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 9

I use gum paste...Wilton's pre-made gum paste and I love it. It can be rolled out very thin and dries super fast so you can make shapes in your loops or tails fairly quickly. I've been known to hold a molded piece for a minute and put it down and it stays. I too like to dry mine on the side. I pinch them too to make them a bit more realistic. Fondant alone just makes a heavier looking piece and it takes forever to dry it seems. Oh...and I use Crisco instead of PS on my board and roller to make it even smoother. This was the first bow I ever made:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1550995

Cazzaroony Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 9

Wow - that was your first cake~?? I am very impressed!

Gumpaste - I will go to my local cake shop to buy some... its not as easy as it looks all this modelling with icing!

I will do some more practising this week - the party isnt till the 14th May, so have enough time to perfect it.

Thanks xxxx

robinmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinmarie Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 9

carmijok, i love your bow too!! of the subject but what shade of gold did you use for the bracelet?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinmarie

carmijok, i love your bow too!! of the subject but what shade of gold did you use for the bracelet?

I used gold lustre dust with clear lemon extract on white gum paste...if I had to do it again I would color my gum paste first a gold color and then dust it with the gold...makes it easier to cover and looks more 'goldy'. (yes, that's word...I just made it up).

robinmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinmarie Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 8:52pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you just much!! I bought "old gold" luster dust and it so was the wrong color gold I was trying to achieve. I will just order plain "gold" luster dust!!!! Again, thanks for your help icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%