50Th Bday Cake - Only Just Started Doing This! Help!

Decorating By Serendipity80 Updated 5 Apr 2011 , 9:02am by mmmmmmmmcake1954

Serendipity80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serendipity80 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 5

PLease can you help me? I have just started doing a cake dec course and im pretty OK at the cake dec part but the actual making of the cake im not so confident with. I can make the cakes but its the how do i construct it, what quantaties i use that are making me really nervous! icon_sad.gif

My friends are loving the fact i am doing this and have asked me to do some cakes and so far so good..well one cake down all good, im doing a baby shower one soon BUT im doing a 50th groovy 60s bday cake for a friends mums bday and she wants a 2tier cake! How do i construct a 2 tier sponge cake? What sizes do you recommend? I was thinking dreamwhip for the filling as it sets well, do you agree?

Any thoughts, advise, ideas would be great as this 50th cake will be presented to someone i dont know and thats scarying the bejesus out of me!!! icon_surprised.gif

THanks guys xx

4 replies
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 5

Hi there Serendipity80, If you are making a 2 tier cake you will need to make sure that you put some sort of support in the bottom tier (dowels) so that it doesn't collapse from the weight of the top tier, with regard to sizes of the tiers, this would depend on how many people the cake is for. Where are you based USA, UK?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serendipity80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serendipity80 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:33am
post #4 of 5

CWR41 BIG thanks for those links they are great. thumbs_up.gif

Mmmmmmmmmmmm - im in Australia. Going by Cw's links im think a 12 inch and 8 inch would work well. Thanks for the post, really appreciate it. The friend just asked for a cake at first, didnt mention it was for her mums 50th! Needless to say instant sweat broke out! EEK! icon_surprised.gif

Thanks again guys

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 9:02am
post #5 of 5

Glad to be of help, Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%