Wedding Cake 3" Or 4 " Between Tiers?

Decorating By jewels710 Updated 4 Apr 2011 , 11:39pm by Occther

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 6

Do my fellow cakers separate tiers by 3" or 4" sizes when it comes to stacking sizes? For example...(6", 9", 12"...or 6", 10", 14").

I am trying to get some opinions on what others prefer or use when it comes to Wedding Cakes.

I was playing around stacking my pans last night and I think I liked the 3" better but am still on the fence.
Is there a reason for a 4" other than appearance, like for flowers, etc?

Thanks a bunch!

5 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 6

itall depends on the total number of servings i need and if the design requested would need one or the other. (or what the bride prefers)
There is no right or wrong

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 6

I like a 2" difference most of the time for stacked tiers, and 4" for separated tiers.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

itall depends on the total number of servings i need and if the design requested would need one or the other. (or what the bride prefers)
There is no right or wrong

Me too. It varies on a case-by-case basis.

I guess my preference would be the 3" difference, but most of my wedding cakes are 2" difference because of the bride's design choice and servings needed.

agouti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agouti Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 6

agreed, it depends on the cake. the wedding cake i'm doing this weekend is 2 inch difference - 6in, 8in, 10in.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 6

Keep in mind that with a 2" difference, the cake will appear taller and skinnier. With a 4" difference, the cake looks more spread out and wider. Each difference in tier sizes gives off a different look. I have done cakes with 2" between the top and second tier and 6" between the bottom two tiers. There is no hard and fast rule.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%