Need Info On My Ms Cricut Cake

Decorating By ccc407 Updated 4 Apr 2011 , 5:08pm by holwhit

ccc407 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccc407 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 9

I bought a Martha Stewart Cricut Cake from Amazon last Dec. Finally getting around to trying fondant/tylose medium on it and it worked great. Had fun experimenting. Now the questions: 1. Is the display screen suppose to raise (I tried it and it's stubborn and I am afraid to force it; 2. the only sustained green light I get is the "ON" button (not the shift or any other buttons)... 3) the demo DVD demos the red cricut cake, doesn't all the info also pertain to the MS cake machine (hence the above 2 questions).

TIA for any and all info you ladies can give me.

8 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 2:58am
post #2 of 9

As far as I know they are exactly the same machine.

holwhit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holwhit Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 3:16am
post #3 of 9

The screen does tilt- you do have to use a little more force than you'd think is necessary though.

I'm pretty sure the only green light I get is the power button too.

Out of curiousity, what type of fondant are you using and what settings? I haven't had much luck with fondant yet, I'm still experimenting.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 9

I use Linda McClure's recipe and have also had good luck adding tylose to Wilton fondant. Check out Linda's youtube videos http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=silhouette%20%20electronic%20cutter&search=Search&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&spell=1 Follow her directions and you'll have great success.

holwhit Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks tiggy2. I'll check out those clips for sure. I just haven't had a lot of time to "play" with having a newborn icon_smile.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 2:04pm
post #6 of 9

I have the MS Cricut Cake. Got it in December, and yes the screen tilts using a bit more power than you would think is necessary. But my SHIFT LOCK key has a constant green light when I push it. Other than the ON button, that is the only button that will stay on with a green light when pushed.

Tell me though, I'm curious...have you tried MMF in your machine yet?

holwhit Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 9

I've tried mmf but without great results. I even tried freezing and/ or adding gumtex (I know its a tylose substitute, but does it work as well?). The blade seemed to drag causing a ragged edge.

That being said, I haven't given up on mmf yet, I just haven't had time to experiment. I think some others on here have had decent results

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 9

I have found that mmf works best when about two or three days old. I don't know why, but the softer it is, the worse the blade cuts it. I mean, I still get the ragged edge you spoke about, but it's not nearly as bad. Still trying to play with it and see if I can figure out how to get the edges smooth. I'd hate to have to buy fondant just to use my machine.

holwhit Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 5:08pm
post #9 of 9

I agree- I'd hate to buy fondant as well, especially when mmf is so easy to make and tastes decent. I think it'll just take some practice and patience.

I had better luck with gumpaste. I'm still experimenting with that too though.

The good news is that I'm on maternity leave so hopefully this summer when my son is a little more independent I'll have more time to play. I'm supposed to make a wedding cake for a friend in September so I'm hoping to have it down pat by then because I'd really like to try a damask type design

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%