Cake Sizes

Decorating By brittsaqtpie1 Updated 4 Apr 2011 , 1:50am by CWR41

brittsaqtpie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brittsaqtpie1 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 7

My niece asked if I could make her wedding cake in June. She wants it a 5 tier cake, the bottom one round, and alternate with square/round. I designed it in google sketchup, and I'll try to add it on here so you have an idea...

But my biggest problem is figuring out the right size for each tier. This will be my first wedding cake and the first cake over 2 tiers. I was hoping I could get an idea on the pan sizes I'll need to use, we were planning on doing the top tier a 4" round. When I designed it I used: 16r, 10s, 9r, 6s, 4r

6 replies
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 7

How many guests will be at the wedding? That will determine what your sizes need to be.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 7

There's great advice in this thread on how to fit square tiers on top of rounds.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-713305-square.html+round+fit

brittsaqtpie1 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 7

I think they're inviting around 500 to the reception. Not 100% positive...

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 7

Wow! 500? I don't think I could come up with 500 people to invite to my wedding if I invited everyone I know lol. Sounds like you have a huge project on your hands! I tried using the Wilton guide to figure out sizes but the round and square issue is stumping me. But the most I've ever done is a 3-tier for my nephew's birthday, no wedding cakes yet. Hopefully someone else will have some good advice for you. Good luck!

brittsaqtpie1 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 7

oh, but I should add, that here they don't usually serve the cake to everyone. People cut the cake at the end of the reception so the amount of people that the cake serves is really really low because hardly anyone stays for the whole reception. Just as a clarification for people icon_smile.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 1:50am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittsaqtpie1

My niece asked if I could make her wedding cake in June. She wants it a 5 tier cake, the bottom one round, and alternate with square/round.
When I designed it I used: 16r, 10s, 9r, 6s, 4r

It looks good to me... I think you did great planning it.

I'd say the only concern is that it will only serve 200-206 of the 500 guests.
If your niece doesn't mind a 6-tier cake with the bottom tier being a square, I'd add a 6" tall 20" square underneath it all to get 500-506 servings. In my opinion, ALL cakes over 16" diameter (18" and larger) need to be at least 6" tall (that's also why the 18" half round pan is 3" deep). So, if a 4" tall 20" square normally serves 200, it would serve 300 when it's 6" tall (just cut it in between at 3" for 1"x2"x3" serving sizes). Your 200-206 serving cake, plus the extra servings from the additional square base cake = 500-506. Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%