Making Tires/wheels

Decorating By nicoles0305 Updated 5 Apr 2011 , 12:56pm by angelogoo

nicoles0305 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0305 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 6

What's the trick? Mine always look "flat"! I did a dirt bike this weekend and it looks like it has flat tires. I've seen pics where they don't look flat at all, but I don't know what the trick is.

5 replies
tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 6

When you say flat, do you mean deflated on the bottom? Like someone let the air out? I made some tires last month for a car cake, and what I did was get out a circle cutter in the size of the tire diameter I needed, then filled the cutter about 1 inch thick with fondant/gumpaste mixture, smoothed, then placed on a flat surface to dry and removed the cutter. It was perfectly round, but needed a few days to dry enough to maintain its shape.

nicoles0305 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0305 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 6

That is exactly what I mean! Good thinking. I will try that out next time.

I think part of my problem when it comes to any figurine is that I wait till about two days before the cake is due to make it, when I know I should be letting them dry longer than that!

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 6

Two days is fine, TBH I make everything 1 day before. Just pop it in the oven overnight with the oven light off (no heat!!) and it dries in a jiffy!

cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 6

Not sure what kind of cake you made, but I use donuts and cover them in fondant, they always look cute plus customers love that it's not just fondant.

angelogoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelogoo Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 6

If you get them dry first before sticking them on, then they look like flat tires!!!!! Ask me how i know!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%