What Kind Of Food Color Do You Use For Modeling Choc?

Baking By princesscatt Updated 18 Feb 2014 , 4:08am by BeesKnees578

princesscatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscatt Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 11:19am
post #1 of 6

Going to make my first attempt at modeling chocolate. I have to make people so I'm going to need a skin color choc...if I can not find this color what kind of food coloring can I use? Will regular wilton gel do or will it mess up the chocolate?

5 replies
hbarberycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbarberycakes Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 12:24pm
post #2 of 6

I'm curious as well. I haven't used the modeling chocolate yet! Does it stick to your or anything why you are using it?

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 6

As long as you add the coloring to it after the modeling chocolate is made, you will be fine with any type of coloring. I've used ChefMaster Candy Colors, AmeriColor Gel and Wilton just fine. Knead it in just like you would with fondant.

As for flesh tone, I mix in a tiny bit of egg yellow and pink.

Chya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chya Posted 17 Feb 2014 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 6

You can add the color into the corn syrup, mix then add to melted candy melts...works fabulous!

silbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silbella Posted 17 Feb 2014 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelFood4 

As long as you add the coloring to it after the modeling chocolate is made, you will be fine with any type of coloring. I've used ChefMaster Candy Colors, AmeriColor Gel and Wilton just fine. Knead it in just like you would with fondant.

As for flesh tone, I mix in a tiny bit of egg yellow and pink.

Ditto!  I use modeling chocolate frequently and like to make it in white and just color as I need it because it has a long shelf life.  It's great to work with!  You can dust your surface with corn starch to prevent sticking just like with fondant.

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 18 Feb 2014 , 4:08am
post #6 of 6

This is all good to know about ways to color it...I just did my first mod choc sculpted cake parts this past week.  I fell in LOVE with it and I hope you do, too....so much so that I just finished up using 110 oz of different color candy melts to make a crap-ton of mod choc.  Wishing I bought more white though.

Our JoAnn's has it on sale 25% off until the 1st of March, if that helps anyone out.  Assuming it's for all stores.

As the directions say, don't over-mix!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%