Pelican Head From Rice Krispy Treats

Decorating By MollyHammond Updated 5 Apr 2011 , 3:31pm by cowie

MollyHammond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyHammond Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 1:03am
post #1 of 4

I would like to make a pelican for "Pelicans of the Carribean" which is our theme for the Relay For Life Cancer Society theme. I am thinking of making the head from rice krispy treats. I have no idea of how to attatch it after it is molded. I want the body to be cake. Any help would be appreciated. It is for a wonderful cause..
Molly

3 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 4

You could attach a piece of PVC pipe to the cake base where you want the neck and attach the RKTs to that. The body of the pelican would rest on the base (you'd still have to figure out what to do for the legs), and you could round out the body under the base with RKTs, too. This is obvously going to require a bit of work, so get in touch with your inner Duff Goldman and have at it!

bcarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcarb Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 4

Cake Boss did this on a show. He used PVC pipe under the beak as support and then draped a baby's blanket over part of the beak to cover the pipe. It was pretty awesome.

cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 4

I made a cake like this about two months ago. I however, did not use the piping and should have lol, it turned out to be a horrible mess and I was sooo upset, Thank goodness it was for a family member and not for a customer. I used the rc as the head but found it was way to heavy and started pushing my dowels out of the way and it was going to fall over. So I ended up using a pc of styrofoam and covering it in fondant. Then I painted on the features. For the body I used two of the oval pans from the Wilton course kit (it was just a small cake). Then I covered that in buttercream and used a paint brush to add different colours for the feathers and used some fondant tools to sort of mess up the buttercream to make it look like feathers, it looked to 'neat' before I did that. I didn't used anything for feet because it was a laying down pelican. For the board I covered it in brown sugar and used some shell shaped chocolates to set around. It turned out really cute. icon_smile.gif Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%