I Needed A Light Light Brown....

Decorating By KarenOR Updated 3 Apr 2011 , 4:36am by NanaSandy

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 3

and just couldn't get it, so my Sesame building is a " caucasian flesh/peach" color which I never seem to make correctly when I NEED to. Good grief.
I plan to use some brown color and do some detailing on the panels. When I was done, I rolled an orange on them to give a little texture. That seems to work for a subtle texture that may come out more when I paint.

So, can I paint when they are dry? The panels are fondant/tylose.
Also, they (well, just the front one) are going to have a million details, so what do I use to stick them on? Will water work still? I'm making a fondant glue (mushed up fondant). I just don't know what will work best as they dry.

I am not making extra, so pleaase keep your fingers crossed that they don't break. They have two weeks to dry, do I leave them out the whole time?
Flip them over at some point? They are on silpats.

Also, I have no idea how I'm going to make royal icing that color to adhere them later. It woudl have been easy if I hadn't used 6 different shades and still ended up peach.

icon_cool.gif

Thanks!

2 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 3

Let's see. Yes, you can paint them when they're dry - use a combination of paste/gel colors and something with a high alcohol content (Everclear, vodka, lemon extract, etc.), so the colors dry fast and don't melt your fondant. My favorite glue for dried pieces is melted candy melts (you can use melted chocolate, too). If you're careful enough not to let the glue show, it doesn't matter if you tint it or not (same goes for RI which works well, too). Water won't hold dried pieces together. I've never used fondant glue, so I don't know about that. I'd leave them out the whole time and turn them over a time or two, if this won't make them lose their shape. In two weeks you should have more than enough time for your pieces to dry completely and to paint them and have that dry completely. Hope that helps! Best of luck with your cake!

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 4:36am
post #3 of 3

I use either the chocolate or the fondant glue and it works fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%