Cake Karma

Decorating By shaibaer Updated 12 May 2011 , 1:29pm by sebrina

shaibaer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaibaer Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:36am
post #1 of 6

I wasn't making this cake for an "event", so I'm not sure you ladies would count it as a disaster, lol.

I had my final "flowers" Wilton class last night, and decided that instead of just doing ONE cake that I would throw all the flowers/techniques we learned on (and since it's just DS and me right now... guess would would be eating all that freakin cake....) , that I would make some mini cakes and have them each reflect a few techniques/flowers that would be more elegant and "photobook" worthy, for if/when I decide to start selling my cakes. My husband is away for training until May (military) so I had to bring my 6 yr old boy with me to cake class. He was mostly a doll, playing in the other room with another child and leaving me in the main room to work.

I was doing some precise piping on the side of my 2nd mini cake and my teacher suggested that I put my turntable up on a box to pipe, so I could rest my elbow on the table and keep my lines very neat. When I was 1/2 way through, DS ran up to me and gave me a big hug while I was doing some piping work. I told him thanks nicely and hugged him back, but to please not do that while I was working on the cakes. After he left, I said to the other ladies that he was my tiny tornado, Senor Destructo and how I usually waited until after he went to bed to decorate the cakes.

Not 1 minute later, for absolutely no reason that any one could see..... the turntable slipped off the box and the cake flipped off and landed on it's side on the chair and stuck. *sigh* Karma will get you every time!! And laugh like a loon while she's at it!

Mini cake before it got decorated:

Inspiration photo (bottom left):

And after, lol:

There was just no saving it! lol

AND

CD part 2:

It was so cold last night that (like 35 degrees), since my fridge was full, I was going to leave the 2 finished, 1 1/2 finished and smooshed cakes out in their box in the car and I would retrieve them in the morning.....

You see where this is going??

I totally forgot them this morning and didn't remember until about 2 pm.... when we were in the midst of our long awaited warm up! lol It was 65 outside and probably 85-90 in my car! Needless to say..... the cakes were looking a bit... shall we say.... deflated in their pools of sweat, lol!

So to recap.... plan: 4 mini cakes so I can freeze them and don't have to eat one big cake in a sitting or give them away to Zero cakes, a destroyed kitchen and a cleaning bill for the big oil slick on my passenger seat where the shortening piddled through my cardboard box, lol!

Coulda been worse, right?

5 replies
VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:59am
post #2 of 6

Too funny! Thanks for the laugh and be happy for the warm weather. It's been cool and rainy my way this week and my 1 year old and I are driving each other crazy. We're so ready to get out and about.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 4:27am
post #3 of 6

Funny story, thanks for sharing! I thought I was the only one using my car as a frig!

olivialovesdogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olivialovesdogs Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 6

Aww, I still think it looks good. I love those flowers.

I'm in the middle of taking the first Wilton cake class. I can't wait to move on to the Flowers class. ^-^

YellowBrickRd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YellowBrickRd Posted 12 May 2011 , 12:22pm
post #5 of 6

icon_biggrin.gif Glad to hear others stories...your flowers are amazing and I can tell even through the smoosh it was going to be an elegant cake!! Happy Caking!!!!

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 12 May 2011 , 1:29pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaibaer

plan: 4 mini cakes so I can freeze them and don't have to eat one big cake in a sitting or give them away to Zero cakes, a destroyed kitchen and a cleaning bill for the big oil slick on my passenger seat where the shortening piddled through my cardboard box, lol!

Cake disaster story to laugh about? Priceless...

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%