post #1 of 37

Happy April Fool's Day!

Who's Up?

Whatcha workin' on?

36 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:32am
post #2 of 37

One three tier party cake for me, finished and waiting for delivery tomorrow.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:33am
post #3 of 37

I decorated 100 cookies, made 6 layers of cake and a dozen cupcakes, and am working on rolling cake truffles now. What's everyone else working on tonight?

mimi1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi1218 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:39am
post #4 of 37

butter cake just came out of the oven, chocolate ganache is chilling, and an 11 year old birthday girl will get her cake made to look like a present on Sunday.
but instead of getting my decorations ready- I am here trolling the internet for more ideas!

and getting ready to make a trip to Fort Wayne tomorrow to see my mecca of cake supplies! So excited!

StacyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyN Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:41am
post #5 of 37

Im making Angry Birds and pigs out of gumpaste! My son wants an Angry Birds theme cake for his birthday next weekend! Anyone else know what Angry Birds are? He had to show me and acted as though I was from the stone age because I didnt know! haha

sweetkisscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkisscakes Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:42am
post #6 of 37

Half sheet just out of the oven and mini cupcakes cooling to be made into giant legos. For my Ninjago Lego cake. also RKT/ fondant/ candymelt ninja is hardening

leah_s Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:46am
post #7 of 37

I have no idea what angry birds are. Well other than the obvious angry birds, but I suspect that it's a cartoon or band or something.

leah_s Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:47am
post #8 of 37

Cheatize, did you pre-order the cake truffle roller?

StacyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyN Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:49am
post #9 of 37

haha Well Im glad Im not the only one! Angry birds is a computer game that is on iphones, and other apple products. The game is played by sharpshooting angry birds at pigs on blocks! haha Nope im not joking thats the game!

kaytkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaytkat Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:52am
post #10 of 37

I am making a 2 tier cake for my best friend from work's bf. She wanted me to put all the stuff he is interested in on the cake. There is a lot of stuff. Easel, paint, brushes, piano, weights, coke, mcdonalds, cigarettes, beer, dogs, his business logo, the 4 flags of the countries he has lived in and various other things. I think I am getting rid of some of the stuff because the cake is already pretty full and I think adding anymore will make it look tacky. I am trying to get a hold of her to she is she is ok with, but her phone is broken atm so trying to get a hold of her via FB.... haha. It is a fun cake though!

bcarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcarb Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:59am
post #11 of 37

Wanted to bake, but my husband wanted to get out of the house and do some grocery shopping. I don't tell him this, but he is the slowest shopper in the world, so I was too tired to start anything by the time we got home.
I'm new to baking tiered and layered cakes, so tomorrow I'm going to try a heavy dark chocolate cake for the first time. Maybe buttercream with ganache, although I've been eating the extra like candy, the ganache I had left over from the last cake I made, so not sure.....

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:06am
post #12 of 37

Leah- help! my sps legs are too long on the bottom tier. I didn't think it would make a difference, but am concerned it'll be wobbly on the drive. Should I take it out and cut them down? or will it work?

leah_s Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:16am
post #13 of 37

How much too long? Is it making a gap you can't hide?

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:17am
post #14 of 37

Making gumpaste roses for my daughter's birthday next week. I'm pretty slow, so I figured I'd better get a jump on it icon_smile.gif

Jenniferkay Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:21am
post #15 of 37

yeah I could hide it. It's about 1/2". I decided it makes me too nervous so I sent hubby to go cut them!

leah_s Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:22am
post #16 of 37

Good idea. I was about to say if its more than 1/4" you should probably cut them. 1/2" definitely!

Jenniferkay Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:33am
post #17 of 37

yeah. It was a little hairy for a minute there...yikes. Have to do a repair. But the beast is so much more sturdy. I don't think hubby's gonna let me forget all the help he was tonight!

leah_s Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:41am
post #18 of 37

Well, yaknow you gotta luv boys with tools.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:43am
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyN

Im making Angry Birds and pigs out of gumpaste! My son wants an Angry Birds theme cake for his birthday next weekend! Anyone else know what Angry Birds are? He had to show me and acted as though I was from the stone age because I didnt know! haha

Can't wait to see the Angry Birds cake! My whole family plays it!

I'm making panels for my first shopping bag cake, working on RKT baby legs, & making cupcakes for tomorrow's Easter egg hunt!

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:44am
post #20 of 37

A two tier party cake for Me that's making Me nuts! lol Almost done though.

4kidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4kidz Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:47am
post #21 of 37

Let's see...2 batches of Wilton's buttercream recipe (for icing cakes and trim piping), 1 batch of meringue buttercream (for filling), 1 extra batch of marshmalllow fondant (just in case!), colored fondant in 4 different colors. Then I rolled and cut the colored fondant into 3 different circle sizes for my daughter's 9th b-day on sunday. BTW, did I mention this is my first tiered cake EVER and first attempt at fondant EVER? Am I crazy? I think so. I am beginning to worry I'm in way over my head, although I guess now all that's left is assembly. Sounds easy enough... Thank goodness I baked all the layers last week! Sooo grateful for finding this site!!

4kidz Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:47am
post #22 of 37

Let's see...2 batches of Wilton's buttercream recipe (for icing cakes and trim piping), 1 batch of meringue buttercream (for filling), 1 extra batch of marshmalllow fondant (just in case!), colored fondant in 4 different colors. Then I rolled and cut the colored fondant into 3 different circle sizes for my daughter's 9th b-day on sunday. BTW, did I mention this is my first tiered cake EVER and first attempt at fondant EVER? Am I crazy? I think so. I am beginning to worry I'm in way over my head, although I guess now all that's left is assembly. Sounds easy enough... Thank goodness I baked all the layers last week! Sooo grateful for finding this site!! Wish me luck!

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:48am
post #23 of 37

I got my 4 tier done with SPS on Thursday night! I can't believe I did it! I'm really a believer in that SPS and I followed all the instructions. It was foolproof. A lot of work for a donation but I feel like I accomplished something. I also had to make at the same time a lemon half sheet. I make all my fillings from scratch. I thought they would have a ton of leftover cake but they ate almost all of it. Now I'm just going to take it easy this weekend. icon_smile.gif

4kidz Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:51am
post #24 of 37

Let's see...2 batches of Wilton's buttercream recipe (for icing cakes and trim piping), 1 batch of meringue buttercream (for filling), 1 extra batch of marshmalllow fondant (just in case!), colored fondant in 4 different colors. Then I rolled and cut the colored fondant into 3 different circle sizes for my daughter's 9th b-day on sunday. BTW, did I mention this is my first tiered cake EVER and first attempt at fondant EVER? Am I crazy? I think so. I am beginning to worry I'm in way over my head, although I guess now all that's left is assembly. Sounds easy enough... Thank goodness I baked all the layers last week! Sooo grateful for finding this site!! Wish me luck!

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:51am
post #25 of 37

I have some buttermilk in the fridge that needs to be used up so I'm thinking of trying out the Cakeman Raven red velvet cake and maybe a pina colada cake I found that also uses buttermilk. Figured I'd try to get four 6 inch layers from each batch and freeze them so I can have two 6 inch cakes of each to take with me when I go down to Florida to visit my family this month. I'll probably be doing a lot more caking over the next month until I start a nursing program in May. I just became unemployed so I figure I'll just have more time for cake lol

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:53am
post #26 of 37

Working on gum paste animals for a jungle theme baby shower cake in a couple of weeks. What's with all the jungle themes? I see them everywhere! Never thought it would work for baby showers but there sure are a lot of requests for them! Guess I'm 'old school'...or just old!

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 4:02am
post #27 of 37

Working on my first wedding cake, my gift to my friend tomorrow. Had a helluva time today with it, though ... my never-fail fondant recipe failed, and I had to run out and get Fondarific. Can I just say, though, how wonderful it is!! As long as I have to shell out $40 for a bucket of fondant, I'm glad it was this bucket. So ... 14-inch bottom, double-barreled 8-in middle tier, little 6-inch on top. Cherry blossoms ... lots of fun icon_wink.gif.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 4:03am
post #28 of 37

No, the cake roller is too rich for my blood. My business doesn't justify the expense right now and by the time it does, cake truffles will be passe.

What's the deal with chocolate cake? I have a recipe that tastes great but it's fragile and 80% of the time the top gets a big crack in it. Today I tried Macmom's WASC version for the second time. Ten inch rounds, bake even strips, flower nail in the center. Two pans were 2 inches high and the third was a three incher. They rose great but after an hour and a half at 325 (oven is spot on for the temp), I gave up, turned off the oven, and left them in for another 20 minutes before pulling them out. The temp of the cakes are all in the 190-200 degree range but the middle tests fudgy. The tops were starting to burn so the last 15 minutes with the oven on I loosely covered them with foil. The edges were pulling away from the pan. I need sturdy cakes because I'm carving them for a topsy turvy so I thought the recipe would be my best option.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 4:46am
post #29 of 37

Just a quick *wave* to say hello & happy caking to everyone.

No cakes for me this weekend. Dinner out w/the DH & my boys. (DD at a sleepover)

Checked out the Nook Color at B&N--anyone have an e-reader? DH wants to get me one but I'm sort of attached to the feel of paperbacks in my hands. I'm also wondering about the advantage of an e-reader over a tablet. Ideas?

Kristy

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 4:58am
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

Checked out the Nook Color at B&N--anyone have an e-reader? DH wants to get me one but I'm sort of attached to the feel of paperbacks in my hands. I'm also wondering about the advantage of an e-reader over a tablet. Ideas?

Kristy

Kristy, I wouldn't recommend the Nook. Two reasons...the obvious is that Borders is having real issues so I would think twice about sinking any money into it. But the second is a real issue to consider and that's the fact the Nook is backlit. This is like spending a lot of time reading on your computer or phone...eyestrain is gonna get you. I finally decided on a Kindle and could not be happier. I, too, was very "real paper and ink" committed but I travel a lot and I have to say the Kindle has been incredible for trips, days at my son's Little League practice, waiting for the laundry to be done...etc. And, yes, I still read "real" books still..currently into one now<G> but I love the Kindle!

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%