Quick Idea Help For A Simple Shower Cake Please

Decorating By fruitsnack Updated 3 Apr 2011 , 4:55pm by fruitsnack

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 6

I just got asked to do a bridal shower cake for next Saturday. It's for a friend of a friend, so I don't know them. It's a small cake (for 25ish people) and will need to be one tier, because it's got to be picked up. All I have to work with is that the colors are ivory, green and purple and the flowers will be mostly hydrangeas. I don't have the hydrangea cutter / veiner and I'm scared that I will be cutting it close if I base my entire design on having it come in on time (and I'm in the middle of nowhere, so I wouldn't be able to drive to a store to pick one up). The woman emailed me this "logo" from the wedding to show the style, and it looks to be pretty simple. For whatever reason, though, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to design this cake. What would you do if you were doing a cake for this bride?

Thanks for any help you're able to offer. I'm stumped.

5 replies
fruitsnack Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 6

Aaaaaand I forgot to add the logo. Let's try this again.

fruitsnack Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 1:05pm
post #3 of 6

This is what I've come up with . . . does this sound okay?

I'll have a 10" square (I think) with a base color of the purple. I'm planning on making a round ivory disk for the middle with their monogram cut out of it (so the purple shows through from behind). I'll use luster dust on this and use my stitching tool to go around the edge. Then I'm planning on making green fondant and using my extruder to make lines similar to the logo that will come out from each side of the disk. Then I think I'm going to make little flowers of some sort to put on the end of each line.

Around the bottom edge, I'm going to put a bead border (larger purple dots with green dots between) and flowers at least at the corners.

I thought about also doing the lines around the bottom edge (coming up from the bottom and ending before the top edge), but I didn't know if that would look too busy or not.

Does that sound "bridal" enough? It seems like the bride likes pretty simple designs, but I don't want it to be *too* simple, you know?

kimma1299 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimma1299 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 6

I think that sounds great. I hope it turns out well for you.

sweetaudrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetaudrey Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 6

To answer your question about it sounding "bridal" enough...of coarse it does. If you look at their "logo" it doesn't really look "bridal" at all. So, I think you deffinitely found a way to incorporate a bridal look into their non-bridal logo design. icon_smile.gif Good luck!

fruitsnack Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 6

So here's my next question. The woman I'm working with (a friend of the bride) just sent me the invitation for her bridal shower. It has a queen anne's lace flower on it. Is there any way to incorporate that into this cake?

I was thinking about moving the logo from the center to the upper left and then piping (somehow) the flower in the lower right corner. Too much? Not cohesive?

So confused.

Here's the flower on the invitation:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%