I Didn't Know It Was Illegal To Make "character" C

Decorating By cakification Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 5:37pm by cakification

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 4

I'm just a beginner, and i don't sell my cakes I just make them for friends and family, and just for fun.. But i've only just started to learn that making character cakes is illegal? I didn't know that..
So for example, I have made a "stimpy" cake, ( from ren & stimpy ), and star wars cupcakes, and various cakes using the Wilton pans... Are these considered illegal even if I don't sell them for money?

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 4

Moving to the Cake Decorating forum.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 4

The character pans Wilton sells are legal for home use. You can't sell a cake made from those but you can certainly make the cake for your family. For re-creating the other characters, I can't say for sure, but if you aren't selling them, not even for cost, then I can't imagine why the copyright holder would come after you or how they would even know you did a cake with their creations.

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetflowers

The character pans Wilton sells are legal for home use. You can't sell a cake made from those but you can certainly make the cake for your family. For re-creating the other characters, I can't say for sure, but if you aren't selling them, not even for cost, then I can't imagine why the copyright holder would come after you or how they would even know you did a cake with their creations.

Thank you, that's what I was thinking.. Im just making these things things for my kids or my family, I dont really see how anyone could have a problem with that.. Its not like I'm making money off their designs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%