Cake Design Based On This Fabric?

Decorating By dukeswalker Updated 22 Apr 2011 , 2:57am by dukeswalker

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 14

I'm still very new to cake decorating and dont feel confident enough yet to begin creating and making my own designs - I feel much more comfortable seeing what some amazing cake decorator has created and trying to emulate their techniques.

I have a request for a baby shower cake using the fabric they have chosen as an inspiration....

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item--i-WAVERLY-672750

Does anyone have any ideas or better yet a cake that I might be able to look at that shares some of the qualities of the fabric?

TIA!!! icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
sweetaudrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetaudrey Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 1:41pm
post #2 of 14

I love the background color on the material. That shade of blue is very nice. I have this vision of a cake in my head that kinda mimicks the fabric. You could trace on some of the flowers and paint them (if your good with that sort of thing). You could shape the flowers out of fondant and place them all over the cake. It would be a little more traditional with the fabric design all over it. That probably doesn't help any. I wish I could SHOW you the image I'm picturing lol...good luck anyways! thumbs_up.gif

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 14

That material is gorgeous!! Beautiful colors! I decorate cakes mainly as a hobby, but love taking ideas from invitations, napkins, etc....

According to the # of people invited, I would do either a 10" with 8" on top or 8" with 6" on top.

This is my take on it: Ice both layers of the cake (either buttercream or fondant) in the teal color. On the top tier, try to incoporate as much of the design that you can and the bottom tier - do just the main elements - not making it as detailed as the top tier. If you could do the embroidery method - that would be beautiful, especially on the large flower! You could have the lt brown "vine" connecting the 2 tiers together.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCuteCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCuteCupcakes Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 14

i'm not sure if your familiar with seriouscakes on youtube but she does something that looks like embroidery where she outlines a flower shape and then take a paint brush and draws the color in; she also does it another way and it looks like farbic...i might not be explaining it right but hereare some links to check out

- fast forward it to the 3:08 mark

i think that this technique would be perfect for your cake; it would match the fabric so well and its fairly easy to do. so you can do the stacked tiers like KASCARLETT suggested, and then decorate with the embroidery technique

dukeswalker Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 14

The embroidery stuff SCARES me...I guess I just need to practice, practice, practice. Anyone know if royal icing can be kept and used over the course of a few days?

And Leah S - those cutters are perfect! I may have to purchase 'em!

KASCARLETT Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 14

The embroidery technique is really easy. Don't let it scare you! And it's really forgiving to a point. I know that when I first started doing basketweave I was really scared of it, but now I love it!

dukeswalker Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 14

So I've got my design all mapped out and I'm thinking about color....Any suggestions on what color that blue/teal background could be duplicated with? Its such a soft, dusty teal.....

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 10:13pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:

Just as a side note on these cutters, I have them, and they are a challenge to work with. You have to roll your fondant really thin and have lots of patience. I usually work some tylose powder into my fondant when I work with these. In fact, I just did a cake today using these cutters, but no pics uploaded yet. The cake that I have in my gallery covered in chocolate fondant and blue accents, I used these cutters. It would be great for the leaves and such, but not the flowers.

dukeswalker Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 11:48pm
post #10 of 14

Good to know NanaSandy - thanks for sharing. I plan on making some fondant berries/twigs/flowers in addition to the cutters

KASCARLETT Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 8:45pm
post #11 of 14

Have you done this cake yet?

dukeswalker Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 11:00pm
post #12 of 14

Funny...after all that planning and picking up those cool jacobean floral cutters they called and ask if I could stick more with just the colors of the fabric as they were having a hard time getting decorations to coordinate with the fabric and they were just going to go with the colors from the fabric as well. SO...I made this cake:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2001679

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 2:14am
post #13 of 14

your cake is gorgeous!! So did you order the cutters? Have you tried them out yet? They do have some cool leaves in them. icon_cool.gificon_rolleyes.gif

dukeswalker Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 2:57am
post #14 of 14

I did purchase the cutters and there are some really cool, unique flowers/leaves so I'm sure I'll get some use out of them. And...thanks for the compliment - I really, really liked the way it came out. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%