Aaaaahhhh, Aaaahhhh, Aaaaaaahhhhh!!! A Little Catharsis.

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 4 Apr 2011 , 2:41am by emiyeric

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:50am
post #1 of 16

Just letting off a little steam, in view of the fact that our wonderful CC Web site is again back to its normal self.

I'm making my best friend's wedding cake for Saturday as my gift, and have been thinking it out and designing it for several months. This cake is many firsts for me: first wedding cake, first wired flowers, with first floral tape, first 14-inch tier (a 12-inch is usually huge for me, as I am a hobbyist and rarely make large cakes), first looooong drive with a cake. All things considered, it's fairly low-stress, since it's a gift. The bride does not have an exact vision in mind that she is paying good money for, she will not be murderous if the lines aren't perfect or the blossoms just so. She is very appreciative, and a very sweet friend, and though she's excited about the cake, she is far from a bridezilla.

That being said .... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I (stupidly!) started making my flowers out of fondant instead of gumpaste, and proceeded to break half of them before deciding to just start fresh with actual gumpaste this time. Wasted a bunch of hours in the meantime, and though I'm doing fine on time (provided no other huge problems arise), I'm cramped and grumpy over my mistake, and still very nervous about this coming out the way I want! I really really really want it to be pretty!

Anyhow! That's my steam ... I feel a little better now, and can go keep playing with sugar and wrapping my wires icon_smile.gif. Thanks for listening.

15 replies
ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:12am
post #2 of 16

Breathe!!! Thats the biggest tip I get from any decorator icon_biggrin.gif Next, I bet you are doing great!!! Let me give you a tid bit of info from last weekend, my busiest yet....I had a RV cake, Pink velvet actually. I had to make the cake not once, not twice, BUT 3 TIMES before getting it right! With that being said, relax, and laugh at any small mistakes and mishaps because they are inevitable but they will pass, and you WILL BE A BETTOR DECORATOR AT THE END OF THE DAY!! Good luck on your firsts! It is so much fun and a rush to get the first over with, and even more of a rush when you find out you are getting to make seconds, thirds, and fourths!!!! Post pics when you are done please!!!!

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:18am
post #3 of 16

thats so sweet of you emiyeric! just know that the kindness you're showing your friend will come back to you many times over icon_biggrin.gif you're going to do great, you ran into a small setback but luckily it wasn't in the last hour. like the pp said, just breathe! its going to look amazing icon_biggrin.gif

sweetaudrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetaudrey Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 7:50am
post #4 of 16

I hope you can post pictures! I'm sure everything will come out beautifully. I'm doing the same thing in about a year for my best friend (hopefully, if she doesn't kill her fiance first. icon_rolleyes.gif ) and that will have alot of first for me too. I'd love to see how yours turns out...it might spark my confidance a little more! icon_biggrin.gif

emiyeric Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 16

Thanks for all of your encouragement and sympathy, guys, hehe icon_smile.gif. I actually ended up hitting a couple more bumps in the road ... for starters, my super-amazing go-to fondant recipe actually failed me, and I ended up scrambling to go buy some Fondarific at the last moment. It worked beautifully, though, and the two-hour drive was smooth, so all's well that ends well!

Sometimes it's very good to be reminded to breathe icon_wink.gif ... thanks again!

Here's the link to the pic, if you're curious to see how it ended up!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1992874/1992883

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 16

Love it! icon_smile.gif

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 16

Love it! icon_smile.gif

StacyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyN Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 6:20pm
post #8 of 16

its very pretty! I'm sure the bride loved it! icon_smile.gif

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 16

Very lovely. Well done!

emiyeric Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 7:09pm
post #10 of 16

Thankws, guys! I'm just thrilled it held up to the 80-degree weather (I know, not 100 degrees, but still way too early for the warmth in my book!) and the looooong drive. Straight sides and everything, despite the dirt roads! icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 7:42pm
post #11 of 16

Gorgeous cake, emiyeric, and now you don't have to worry the next time one of thes comes up! What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger!

emiyeric Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 9:01pm
post #12 of 16

Hehe, I just remember Indydebi saying at some point that "It'll only be your first time once". icon_smile.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 9:59pm
post #13 of 16

Think of the first fondant flowers you threw out as 'practice'. The gumpaste ones turn out better because of the time you spent on the practice ones, so it's not a complete waste.

emiyeric Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 12:55am
post #14 of 16

That's actually exactly what happened. I flew through the second batch of flowers ... Okay, maybe I didn't FLY fly, but it was still much easier than the first batch icon_wink.gif.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 1:30am
post #15 of 16

Great cake turned out fantastic, good job for your firsts!

emiyeric Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 2:41am
post #16 of 16

Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%