Painting On Buttercream ??

Decorating By t4beatles Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 10:03pm by LisaStephens

t4beatles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t4beatles Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 1:00am
post #1 of 10

Is it possible to paint on crusting buttercream?

I am doing a grapevine cake this weekend and would like to do everything in buttercream, grapes, vines & leaves. But wanted to add depth by painting on some darker colors.

Is this possible and how??

9 replies
sweetaudrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetaudrey Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 8:37am
post #2 of 10

I've seen people airbrush on bc. Hmm...maybe a fine brush and a really soft touch would work. If it's crusted, I wouldn't think it would be too big of a problem unless you pushed down to hard and broke through the crust. But maybe someone else could chime in with better advice.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 10

Yep, been there done that. Check out my skate board cake in my photos. The top is hand painted.

You just want a soft touch with a soft brush. I like painting with airbrush colors, but you can use regular colors as well. Some will use those straight or they will mix them with liquid to thin them down (like extracts or alcohols). You can also mix the dusts with extracts or alcohols to paint with.

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Yep, been there done that. Check out my skate board cake in my photos. The top is hand painted.

You just want a soft touch with a soft brush. I like painting with airbrush colors, but you can use regular colors as well. Some will use those straight or they will mix them with liquid to thin them down (like extracts or alcohols). You can also mix the dusts with extracts or alcohols to paint with.

TexasSugar, when you say Airbrush colours, do you mean using an airbrush, or can you buy airbrush colours and use them without an airbrush? (did that make sense?) sorry i think i'm confused!!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 10

I am planning on doing just that! I experimented by smoothing some buttercream on a piece of wax paper and then I froze it. I want to do a leopard print so I put some gel color in my paint palette and got some lemon extract to thin and it works great! Can't wait to do it on my cake!

TexasSugar Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 10

Cakification, I just use the airbrush colors with a paint brush for painting.

I like them because they are already thin, and they dry well. Mixing gel colors with stuff always stayed tacky for me.

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Cakification, I just use the airbrush colors with a paint brush for painting.

I like them because they are already thin, and they dry well. Mixing gel colors with stuff always stayed tacky for me.

Interesting , thanks..I didn't even know that was an option..

TexasSugar Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 6:20pm
post #8 of 10

Welcome. icon_smile.gif

I use Americolor's Airbrush colors. I've bought the small bottles at the ICES Conventions for $1 a bottle. I'm not sure how much they sell other wise, since I've only bought them at the conventions.

t4beatles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t4beatles Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 9:46pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you so much for the replies!!

I can't wait to try it! icon_smile.gif

LisaStephens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaStephens Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 10:03pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks everybody for posting this information, I had just posed this question to myself last week!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%