Who Has Used The Massa Fondant?

Decorating By Dreme Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 6:52am by FromScratchSF

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 6

Can you tell me about it? What is the difference between the Americana, Grischuna, Ticino? Which one is the brightest white and one that is more of an ivory/buttercream color? Can you mix it 50/50 with Satin Ice? Where did you get yours and what are your thoughts on it?

5 replies
sugabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugabear Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 6

I've used tha Americana and the Grischuna. The Americana is a true bright white, but is harder to work with. It's similar to Satin Ice. My favorite is the Grischuna. It's very easy to use and is very pliable. It doesn't crack as much or fast as any other fondant I have used. That being said it isn't a true bright white and acts funny with some food colors. For example Wilton black food color turns it green and Wilton violet food color turns it teal. You can buy them both from Albert Uster Imports. Hope that helps!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:13am
post #3 of 6

Why are there so many different kinds?

I was going to try this brand also. Now I'm a bit confused.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:56am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

Why are there so many different kinds?

I was going to try this brand also. Now I'm a bit confused.

Each one is different - Albert Uster sells Grischuna and Americana - Grischuna is regular fondant and comes in neutral, white chocolate and dark chocolate. The Americana says "fondant is completely opaque with a soft consistency for a perfect all-white wedding cake. Use it to enrobe and decorate white chocolate cakes, sponges filled with ganache or to wrap white chocolate mousse petit fours."

Carma sells Massa Ticino Tropic which I use and LOVE. Different manufacturer (Carma, not Albert Uster). It's bright white, covers like a dream, and tastes really good.

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 6:16am
post #5 of 6

What's the tropic part? Does that somehow make it better to use on cakes in warm weather? (oooo cause then I want that one for my summer cakes! ) Is this one basically the Grischuna & the Americana as one?

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 6:52am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreme

What's the tropic part? Does that somehow make it better to use on cakes in warm weather? (oooo cause then I want that one for my summer cakes! ) Is this one basically the Grischuna & the Americana as one?

I don't know if I understand your question...

It's confusing, but 2 separate companies make and distribute these fondants.

"Massa" in Swedish means "paste". That's why all the Swiss fondants have "massa" in the title.

Carma makes and sells Massa Ticino Tropic. It's what is carried at my local distributor and it is supposed to be for tropical climates. I use it and love it.

http://www.carma.ch/en/438

Albert Uster makes and sells Massa Grischuna and Massa Americana which both have different characteristics. I have never used either but I think I want to order a tub of the chocolate grischuna to try it out.

http://www.auiswisscatalogue.com/505023.html

Did this answer your question?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%