Ivory Mmf...how Do I?

Decorating By Scarlets-Cakes Updated 3 Apr 2011 , 1:30am by cownsj

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 7

My bride wants ivory MMF. Not beige, not plain off-white that it is normally. How do I achieve this?

6 replies
cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 7

maybe add in a little more vanilla in place of water? i've heard bad stuff about wilton's ivory gel turning orange-ish so i'd stear clear of that :/ i'll be needed ivory fondant in may so i'm watching this thread closely! heehee icon_biggrin.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 7

Been using wilton's ivory color for 16 yrs. Love it. Never had a problem with it turning any color but ivory. The ones that have the problem are using too much. hth

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 7

Try some with a very small bit of brown food coloring gel. I wouldn't add it to the whole bunch of fondant. Start with a softball size ball of fondant and add a drop of gel with a toothpick and see how that blends first.

ELMdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ELMdesigns Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 7

I just made some fondant ivory. Didn't add much. Actually ended up using a little gold pearl dust on them (they were small flowers) to get them more ivory colored. I have had a problem with my buttercream turning too orangy with the Wilton ivory. It takes very little! And I find it darkens a little over time. But that's with buttercream. I didn't have that problem with fondant. Good luck!

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 12:58am
post #6 of 7

Thank you, everyone. I added a little more mexican vanilla and got BEAUTIFUL invory fondant. My cake is going to be gorgeous!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 1:30am
post #7 of 7

I've used the Wilton Ivory color in bc, fondant AND lightweight plaster. Every one of them turned a nasty rancid orangy color. I'd never use it again unless I wanted something to look rancid orange.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%