Help! I Left My Cake Out Uncovered All Night :(

Decorating By cake_architect Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 12:54am by Kitagrl

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 12

last night i made an 11"x15" wasc cake and everything went fine, it baked up nice and smelled amazing icon_lol.gif i took it out of the oven, set it on cooling racks on my counter, then went to work on homework (mind you, it was already close to midnight). i was super stressed with my homework (senior level concrete design for engineers lol), got fed up, took a shower then went to bed. i woke up this morning, went to make coffee to finish my hw, and there was the cake still sitting on the counter icon_eek.gif i couldn't believe i had forgotten to take it out of the pan and wrap it! ugh i'm so mad at myself icon_mad.gif

sooooooo my question is, is the cake still good? like i know its not rotten or anything, but will it be super dry? i can't exactly cut a piece off to taste it, but i am going to shave a bit off the top to level it. i can taste that, but if its only the top layer that dried thats what i'd be tasting. anyone have this experience before? i have time to rebake, i just really don't want too icon_cry.gif

11 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 12

I'd look up simple syrups and try using something like that on it.

Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 12

I've left cakes uncovered all night. Once you get the frosting on, it moistens it up again.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 12

Your cake is more than likely fine. If it was still in the pan it was protected. If you still are worried, then yes, use a simple syrup on the cake when you fill and frost.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 12

I am with everyone else...use some simple syrup and then frost the cake. Should be as good as new

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 4:32pm
post #6 of 12

thank ya'll so much! i think i really just needed reassurance that it was ok to use it icon_smile.gif i may mix up a simple syrup and brush it on just to be safe- i hadn't thought of that! ya'll are great icon_biggrin.gif

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 4:34pm
post #7 of 12

I often bake my cakes the night before and decorate in the morning. I don't cover them. Have never had a problem with them being dry. I use box mixes.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 12

I've done it before too. It will be fine and probably won't require a syrup. I've never brushed simple syrup on a cake before for any reason.

Hafsx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hafsx Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 7:13pm
post #9 of 12

The top layer will be dry, but the inside won't be. Make a simple sugar syrup and brush it just to be on the safe side.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 8:05pm
post #10 of 12

I've left my cakes out on the cooling rack over night before. Never had one dry (i do modified box mixes) I wrap them up in plastic wrap until i'm ready to decorate. Then i decorate and the cake will pull some moisture from the icing too. No worries.

agouti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agouti Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:48am
post #11 of 12

like some of the other posters, i often bake and night and allow the cake to cool overnight before i frost the next day. i have not had them dry out, though i have never made a wasc cake. i bake from scratch or doctor up a mix. hope this helps.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:54am
post #12 of 12

Also when you use a buttery buttercream, some of the butter tends to further moisten (it soaks in) the cake as the icing sits on it. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%