Has Anyone Used Chocolate Shavings On The Sides Of A Cake?

Decorating By radtech Updated 31 Mar 2011 , 3:13pm by KSMill

radtech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
radtech Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 2:16pm
post #1 of 3

I have a bride that wants chocolate curls (shavings) on the side of one of the tiers of her cake. I have never done this before...does anyone have any suggestions? I am afraid that they are too delicate to apply without smashing them.

2 replies
kmdrysdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmdrysdale Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 3

I used Chocolate shavings and they were a pain. I ended up using a plastic zip lock bag over my hand so it would not melt. I would think curls would break but i am still new at this, I would love to hear other tips too

Here is a link to my cake i did.
http://cakecentral.com//gallery/1989289

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 3

I did a wedding cake that was iced in buttercream and covered in white chocolate shavings. Once you get the hang of it, the chocolate is easy to apply - I used a bench scraper (I think that's what they're called) and started at the bottom of the tier and gently pulled up toward the top to cover the sides. Keep the scraper far enough away from the cake and angled that the chocolate falls to the cake. I wouldn't guarantee curls because some of them might keep their shape but they are fragile and will break, but it's still beautiful. I received many compliments. I'm uploading to my pics right now so you should be able to see very soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%