Stacking Sports Ball Cakes

Decorating By bigcatz Updated 4 Nov 2006 , 5:16pm by bigcatz

bigcatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigcatz Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 5:34am
post #1 of 8

I have an order for the catepillar from Baby Einstein and the parents want it made with the whole ball. She also wants the head to be stacked on top of the next segment. Do I need to use a board underneath the head? Will straws work or are dowels better for this? Any ideas on the best way to secure the head so it doesn't fall off? The cake is for this Saturday. This will be my very first 3D cake and it's for their son's 1st birthday and they want it to be very extravegant. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jen

7 replies
bigcatz Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 8

Just bumping this up, hopefully someone can help me.

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 8

Hi Jen,
Man, talk about PICKY!! ha ha LOL
I am not really sure how you would set the head on top of another ball and hope that it would stay. icon_redface.gif I guess the only think I can think of is to use the big PLASTIC dowels (but only use 1) or use 2 or 3 of the wooden ones. You could stick the wooden dowels into the bottom segment and then place the head on allowing the dowel to go all the way through and then trimming it after you have it in place. But if you use the big plastic one, I would suggest to go ahead and insert it into the head ball first, then push it down into the bottom ball. Did you tell her that you would feel more comfortable if the head were on the board instead? I would hate for you to go through all that and then the head roll off.

I know she was not being mean, but my first thought was for you to tell her that you aren't a magician and that you could make a pile of crap look extravagant. LOL icon_lol.gif

I hope I helped a little.
If I think of anything else, I will post again!
Leslie

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 8

OK!!!
I just thought of something!!!
If you could get the stand up snowman pan or MAYBE even the stand up bear pan would work. You would have to trim the bottom section, since it is larger than the head, but at least the two parts would be together already and would be more stable. Just an idea. I know the party is this saturday, but if you could find the snowman pan(possibly to rent), it would work perfect!!!!

Leslie

bigcatz Posted 8 Sep 2005 , 4:17am
post #5 of 8

Thanks missmersh sent you a pm. Going to practice now. Wish me luck!

doc_farms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doc_farms Posted 8 Sep 2005 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 8

Put a base of about 4 dowls in the bottom cake. Place a cardboard base cut out to the size of the base of the ball bake. Cut a hole in the center of the cardboard. Frost bottom cake, place cardboard ontop and then put second cake on top. Push dowl down through center of the top cake ball, down through center of cardboard and cake on the bottom. The tip that I got through another member was to use a hammer to whack it down through the cardboard (whatever you use) base that is at least doubled. I used three layers of cardboard for mine. That sets it up pretty solid. Hope this kind of helps!

SHenyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHenyd Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 4:19am
post #7 of 8

Bigcatz,

I love your cake. What did you end up doing? And would you change anything the next time?

bigcatz Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks SHenyd,

I ended up just using dowels, but next time I would have made the top head styrofoam instead of cake. This one was my first ever 3D cake, I learned alot!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%