Coloring Fondant Gold Without Painting

Decorating By orianaklump Updated 26 Apr 2011 , 8:37pm by Lisapost

orianaklump Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
orianaklump Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 10

Is there a way to color fondant gold without painting it? I'm making a grad cake with marroon and gold. I want the cutouts to be gold, but I don't want to paint it because I'm worried about streaks. I don't want to paint the cut outs after I stick them to the cake because I don't want the "paint" to get on the base. I also wanted to do striped flowers (cut out) with gold and marroon. I think it would be hard to paint it like that. Any tips, ideas, advice?
Can I just knead gold luster dust into the fondant?

9 replies
tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 10

I would spray them with the Chefmaster edible gold spray cans or if you have an airbrush then use that to spray them evenly with gold spray. The gold luster dust doesn't make fondant shiny gold by just mixing it into the fondant if you want it metallic looking.

orianaklump Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 10

I don't neccessarily need it to look metalic but I do want it to be gold, not yellowish. I don't have any airbrushing experience. I'm worried that if I paint them they'll get too hard while I'm waiting on the paint to dry and they won't form to the cake.

KJF1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJF1985 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by orianaklump

I don't neccessarily need it to look metalic but I do want it to be gold, not yellowish. I don't have any airbrushing experience. I'm worried that if I paint them they'll get too hard while I'm waiting on the paint to dry and they won't form to the cake.

I'm working on a cake with gold pieces right now. I wanted a spray but couldn't find it in my town. Upon suggestion of a store owner, I purchased a gold glaze. I was VERY concerned because like you - I didn't want streaks. However, I'm extremely pleased with the results as there's no streaking to be seen!! I used wilton's "golden yellow" to lightly tint my fondant and as directed, painting the glaze in one direction, allowed 20-30 minutes to dry and applied a second coat in the opposite direction. I even put a third coat on some parts. The color is very metallic and I'm very pleased with the overall result. Of course, I think a spray might be best but if you can't find any - definitely go with the glaze. A little goes a VERY long ways!

edit: I tried attaching a photo but I can't seem to make it work. I'll put it online and send the link...

orianaklump Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you for your replies! icon_smile.gif

orianaklump Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 10

KJF1985, thank you for suggesting gold glaze. I just bought some and tested it out and it's going to work perfectly! icon_smile.gif Thank you!

KJF1985 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 10

Awesome! So glad it worked out for you!

Lisapost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisapost Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 10

KJF1985, What brand gold glaze did you use?

KJF1985 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisapost

KJF1985, What brand gold glaze did you use?

Oddly enough, there's not actually a brand name on it. Here's a link to it on GSA though....

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=25405&name=Gold%20Glaze%20Ready%20to%20Use%2020g%20by%20Bakery%20Crafts

Lisapost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisapost Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 8:37pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%