Darn Legs Keep Breaking Off! #@$%$#

Decorating By Anzel Updated 31 Mar 2011 , 7:10am by Anzel

Anzel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anzel Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 1:09pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone!

I'm very new to cake decorating and especially using sugarpaste to model stuff for flowers, etc.

This is my problem: It's my daughter's birthday on sunday, and since she's all about the whole "horse thing", she asked for a horse-cake. Overambitious little me decided to make a cake that calls for sculpting a pegasus (horse with wings, etc), which is added to a 3 tier cake with little stars and clouds, etc. The pics look amazing in the book, and there are step-by-step instructions. NOW: the darn legs keep breaking off the horse! I've gotten so far that 3 of the legs are now stuck on, and just now when I checked on everything, guess what!? The FOURTH leg has broken off somehow.

It's very humid here, and I have added CMC powder to the sugarpaste. I've had the horse, wings, legs and stars under the fan for about 18 hours now, and most of them are nearly dry and hard. How can I fix this leg without redoing the whole leg AGAIN??

Is it possible to make royal icing, stick it on with that and just smooth it over? will it still be strong?

Thanks for any help!!
Anzel.

4 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 5

What about using melted chocolate to reattach? In the future you may need a support in the leg that connects to the body. Some people use wire structures, others use PVC. Good luck. I'm sure your daughter will love it.

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 5

How big is the sculpture? I would try putting a little edible glue (I use tylose and water) on a toothpick and sticking it down into the leg. Then put some more edible glue on the other end of the toothpick and stick it in the body. If everything is pretty dry already, you make need to use the toothpick a make the hole first before sticking the leg to the body, otherwise the toothpick with just get pushed all the way into the leg. If it's a bigger sculpture, do the same thing only with a skewer or dowel...depending on the size. Hope that makes sense.

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 5

I have found melted chocolate is amazing for glue. I had a little lawnmower and the handle kept falling down.. put black chocolate in the space to stick the handle back in, held it for a few seconds and it was solid and secure!! good luck I am sure it will be awesome. Can't wait for pictures.

Anzel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anzel Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 7:10am
post #5 of 5

aaahhh chocolate! Why does it seem like chocolate can fix anything in our lives!? I am, of course, a BIG believer in this fact. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for your help! I got the leg stuck with some water and cmc powder, and I supported the leg with some folded up kitchen paper (the stuff you use to dry hands, etc?). It looks like its holding so far, but I think that I'll get some white chocolate just in case... Never thought of using chocolate! That's a great idea!!

Thanks again everybody!! I'll post some pics as soon as it's finished!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%