How To Color The Inside Of Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By Krista512 Updated 31 Mar 2011 , 8:50pm by aprilismaius

Krista512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krista512 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 1:19am
post #1 of 6

i want to learn how to make gumpaste flowers. im paticular the pretty lilly that has the white flower with pink dots down the center in the middle.

how do you get the dots and pink lines in the center?

i just bought the wilton fower with gumpaste kit that has the cut outs for the flowers and a guide book but it was talking about putting chalk in it????

im new to this kind of stuff are they talking about chalk like sidewalk chalk???? or is there a special bakers product that i have never seen called chalk???

also do people actually eat gumpaste flowers??

and how long can i keep gumpaste and home made fondant for if wrapped in plastic wrap and placed in a plastic container
??

5 replies
DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 1:41am
post #2 of 6

They are most likely painted on before putting the petals together..
I have made calla lillies, roses, carnations.. but haven't painted any colors -
I'm sure that's how though icon_smile.gif

You don't normally eat the flowers - gumpaste hardens very quickly and then become to hard to eat. Holding the shape of the flower in it's place.

It's food safe and edible though.

You can keep your gumpaste flowers upto a year!

Unused gumpaste and fondant - it should have an expiry date on the package icon_smile.gif

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 10:19am
post #3 of 6

People do eat the flowers... I made 2 roses for my first wedding cake and someone at the party ate them both...lol

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 6

I made a lily wedding cake (in my photos). To color I mixed petal dust & vodka & painted. Edible marker for the dots. Hth!

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 6

don't store your gumpaste flowers in plastic - it will become sticky. Store them in a clean cardboard box. I use petal dusts to colour flowers - just brush inside and on the edges. As the previous poster said, use edible pens for the dots. Hold for a few seconds over the steam from your kettle - this sets the dust icon_smile.gif

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 6

if you are talking about the stargazer lily, i've made my share of those! i always dust the individual flower petals first before wiring them together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%