Need Advice..how To Turn Down A Customer

Decorating By sechrestloans Updated 31 Mar 2011 , 3:18am by sechrestloans

sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 10:55am
post #1 of 7

Got an I inquiry last week on a cat cake. After emailing back and forth,ALOT.... She decided to go with 2tier,covered in green fondant with a fondant cat on top and Kittens playing around and on the top tier. I quoted her and told her she needed the 50% deposit to hold the date and it was non refundable. That was on the 26th. I get an email this morning basically nit picking the cake AGAIN. I just have a feeling that this is going to be an "issue"cake. I emailed her back and let her know since she has not put the deposit down yet I have to check the schedule to see if I can even do the cake now, but my question is.?.. In this situation, when you pretty much know you dont want to do this cake at this point, how do you turn it down without creating the bad reviews of customer service? I just have a bad feeling that no matter what I do for this lady, the cake will be a disaster in her eyes. Thanks!

6 replies
dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 11:06am
post #2 of 7

Just tell her that your time is valuable and if she requires anymore discussion then she will either need to put down her deposit to keep the discussion going or she needs to find another baker.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 7

If you don't want to do the cake I would simply send her this email:

"Unfortunately I am no longer able to make your cake. I wish you luck finding another baker to meet your needs."

You don't need to explain why.

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 7

As she has not paid her deposit.. What I have started doing to avoid looking bi*chy, is say "Hi again, sorry, as I am sure you are aware I do not consider an order booked until deposit is received. As a result, I could not hold your date, and other customers have now booked me for such and such date. Good luck with your event, all the best" or whatever!

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugardugar

As she has not paid her deposit.. What I have started doing to avoid looking bi*chy, is say "Hi again, sorry, as I am sure you are aware I do not consider an order booked until deposit is received. As a result, I could not hold your date, and other customers have now booked me for such and such date. Good luck with your event, all the best" or whatever!

Perfect response!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 7

Not sure how you define "a LOT" but there comes a point in the emailing process that its too much without some kind of commitment, even if the commitment is coming in to an appt to discuss it.

Otherwise you're spending way to much time spinning your wheels on an order that doesn't exist.

sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 3:18am
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone, I took all your advices and basically told her no deposit no more discussion, but in a nice manner, and the deposit was paid today. I have a feeling I will regret taking this order, but we live and learn I guess. I will let you all know if she complains.. Cake isn't till May 26th.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%