Decorating By Krista512 Updated 31 Mar 2011 , 6:05pm by Uniqueask

sweetaudrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetaudrey Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 4:57pm
post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetaudrey

I mean you see these high-end bakeries that have to transport their cakes in box trucks or even just regular mini vans...they either sit in the trunk area with their cake to make sure it safely arrives or stay in the box part of their box truck. This is very illegal and very unsafe.

The consequences in your scenario don't compare to what OP is doing...maybe a few hundred bucks in fines if the truck happens to be stopped, which a high-end bakery could easily absorb. OP's situation is more akin to driving without a license or insurance -- one accident could result in complete financial ruin.

Regardless of how great of an offense it is....it's still illegal. And the greatest harm a home baker can have is financial; and that is their own risk they are taking. Illegal driving manners effect the lives and wellbeing of everyone else on the road. See, no one is perfect. You could find many different things we each do every day to get by that others might not find 'correct' or even 'legal' in some cases...but that doesn't stop us from doing those things.

sweetaudrey Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:00pm
post #32 of 45
Quote:

Quote:

So what people don't understand is that she's probably a scared mommy-to-be and she just wants to take care of her baby..shes not out to break the law. That is why I've chosen to stand up for her. Because I feel like alot of cakers on here who have been in business for a long time forget that there are people out there that are not as blessed or far along at this moment in time. And they make people like the OP out of be heartless criminals when that couldn't be further from the truth.

No one here is attacking the OP or making her out to be a "heartless criminal", and I'm sure she has the best of intentions, but the reality of the situation is that she is headed down a dangerous path from a legal and financial perspective.

You present a false dichotomy with your argument -- this is not an "us vs. them" situation where one side is supporting or "standing up" for the OP and the other is not. I completely support the OP in trying to make money decorating cakes and have outlined ways to change her current situation so she can do so safely without fear of being shut down, fined, or sued.

No, my argument is refering to not only the OP but all home bakers in general. I've seen so many posts on here that do paint home bakers as heartless criminals. I haven't said anything until now is all.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:03pm
post #33 of 45
Quote:

No, my argument is refering to not only the OP but all home bakers in general. I've seen so many posts on here that do paint home bakers as heartless criminals. I haven't said anything until now is all.

Can you point to posts here that paint home bakers as heartless criminals? If they do exist they are certainly in the minority, and if someone posts a personal attack you can alert the moderators and have the post removed.

jason_kraft Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:12pm
post #34 of 45
Quote:

Regardless of how great of an offense it is....it's still illegal.

This thread is not about how great an offense or how illegal something is, it's about how much to charge for products, and you can't work out pricing unless you know what the risks are for running an illegal business.

Quote:
Quote:

And the greatest harm a home baker can have is financial; and that is their own risk they are taking. Illegal driving manners effect the lives and wellbeing of everyone else on the road.

That's exactly why your analogy is not apt, OP is not risking physical harm like someone sitting in the back of a moving van is. Driving without a license or insurance is more inline with the risk OP is taking, since an unlicensed driver is not necessarily more physically dangerous, but there are serious financial and legal consequences.

Quote:
Quote:

See, no one is perfect. You could find many different things we each do every day to get by that others might not find 'correct' or even 'legal' in some cases...but that doesn't stop us from doing those things.

And you have every right to operate an illegal business if you are willing to accept the consequences, just like I have every right to inform people of what those consequences are. It's not fair to people who take those risks if they aren't aware of what the risks are or even that they are taking a risk in the first place.

Thanks to this thread, OP is now informed and can make her own decision as to how to proceed with her business.

sweetaudrey Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:18pm
post #35 of 45

I agree with you.....sorta....on some points. Others, I think you are missing my point completely. However, it is pointless to continue this discussion because we both will never see what the other is trying to say, clearly. Therefore, have a nice day. icon_smile.gif

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:27pm
post #36 of 45

in my province, I can only sell at farmers markets and trade shows without a commercial kitchen. I DO NOT buy my ingredients in bulk, but i make a good profit! example, 1 cake truffle costs me $0.25 I charge $1 each ($6 for 1.5 dozen) so i am making $0.75 each truffle. That is not bad, and defiantly way more then just double my costs.

You need a PLAN to succeed, not thousands of dollars necessarly. I run my business with only $20 a month I get from my baby bonus, everything else comes from properly pricing my product.

Most of the time I do not een use that $20 unless there is a new toy I want.

sweetaudrey Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:31pm
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofgrace

in my province, I can only sell at farmers markets and trade shows without a commercial kitchen. I DO NOT buy my ingredients in bulk, but i make a good profit! example, 1 cake truffle costs me $0.25 I charge $1 each ($6 for 1.5 dozen) so i am making $0.75 each truffle. That is not bad, and defiantly way more then just double my costs.

You need a PLAN to succeed, not thousands of dollars necessarly. I run my business with only $20 a month I get from my baby bonus, everything else comes from properly pricing my product.

Most of the time I do not een use that $20 unless there is a new toy I want.

Good for you icon_biggrin.gif

mamabaer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabaer Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:36pm
post #38 of 45

oh dear. This poor girl. I hope she is not still reading this. I can't believe people are questioning her judgement on having more kids, or trying to provide for her family. She did know it was illegal. She's still sorting through her conflicting emotions about the legality of it and her desire to use one of her gifts/talents to help her family. Face it, most of us felt it was stupid to not have cottage laws in every state when we first figured it out and were frustrated at the hoops we had to jump through to become legal. She's frustrated and still sorting through it. Give her advice, but don't make her feel even more desperate in her situation and feel bad for wishing it was different in TX. Good grief. Mind your own business. Didn't your mama teach you that if you didn't have something nice to say not to say anything at all!?

Now, in case you ARE still reading all of this Krista. Having another kid is no one's business but yours and your husbands. Kids are a blessing from God. If He gave them to you, He will provide for you if you ask him for help. A lot of churches have programs that will help you with things like this, you just have to ask. And Craigslist Free and freecycle are a blessing to low income families. I have been there (and I too have 4 kids) It'll all work out and you'll find your way. Just please ignore the negative things that people said here.

(I know a lot of the comments were just constructive. I'm not talking about those comments. I know a lot of you were just trying to help her sort through it all)

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:38pm
post #39 of 45

Im just saying you dont need to be illegal or have a lot of money to start out.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:38pm
post #40 of 45

It sounds like a much better plan for you right now would be a part time job. You could do it in the evenings after the little ones are asleep. It would be a helluva lot less stress and maybe you could even work in a bakery and get some pix for later when/if you do decide to start up for real icon_smile.gif

jason_kraft Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:43pm
post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofgrace

Im just saying you dont need to be illegal or have a lot of money to start out.

That's true in some places, but not all. If your state or province does not have a cottage food law and does not allow selling food prepared at home at a farmer's market, you will need some money to start out.

As a point of reference, here in northern CA we spent about $5000 starting our business, which is run out of a rented commercial kitchen. Of that $5000 about $3000 consists of annual overhead costs (health inspection fees, LLC fees, insurance, etc.). That may seem like a lot, but it's nothing compared to the $100K+ up-front cost of a typical retail bakery build-out.

jason_kraft Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:46pm
post #42 of 45

BTW I'm not sure where OP said this was her 4th child, from context it sounds like it's her first. Not that it's anyone else's business or has anything to do with this thread.

mamabaer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabaer Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:51pm
post #43 of 45

jason-kraft. I know. i was thinking the same thing, but people kept referring to the 4th...so I figured I missed something somewhere. You are right. either way. no ones business!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:52pm
post #44 of 45

Since everyone else, already gave their input and advice, I just wanted to say to Krista, that every state, and county, has a Dept of Social Services, that will help with child care costs if you wanted to go work in a bakery like you said. They help Parents that are looking for work, and or going back to school.

Good luck with your decisions.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 6:05pm
post #45 of 45
Quote:

BTW I'm not sure where OP said this was her 4th child, from context it sounds like it's her first. Not that it's anyone else's business or has anything to do with this thread.

I was wondering that too, I did not see anything about a fourth child, I just saw where she said she was pregnant, and was wanting to help her husband with bills, and a new baby coming.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%