I Need A Unique Cupcake Idea

Decorating By cakification Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 3:08pm by cakification

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all..I am making the cupcakes for my cousins wedding coming up, but I want to do something creative, and I need your help!
Her colours are purple and yellow, and her only flowers aree roses. I could just do regular cupcakes with purple and yellow roses on top, but I was hoping for something more unique...( she has left the creative aspect up to me..)
Can anyone offer why suggestions on how to make these cupcakes more unique?

5 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 6

You didn't say how many you need to make, but I absolutely love Zalita's work. Check out these and then link to her Flicker album for more amazing beauties.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65668398@N00/5552726548/

Lots of work, but what WOW factor they have!

cakification Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 6

Oh my goodness.. You weren't kidding sbout the wow factor.. WOW!
I need to make about 150 give or take.. But I dont mind as it would be a labour of love.. The only problem I can see is that her colours a purple, and doesn't purple colour fade over time? So if i were to make the flowers ahead of time, would they still be purple come the wedding day?

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:43pm
post #4 of 6

I have had problems with "home-colored" purple fondant and gumpaste fading and morphing into a strange gray. If you are making your flowers in gumpaste, color the base paste purple and dust additional color over them - the dusts won't fade. I keep ready-made dark purple fondant on hand - it does not fade. If I need gumpaste, I mix the dark purple fondant with white gumpate to get the shade I want, then add more CMC. If you're using plain fondant, then ready-made purple would be your best bet. I have leftover pieces made from Satin Ice purple fondant mixed with gumpaste and tylose over a year old that are still true purple.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 6

I also think light is a major factor with purple fading. If you keep the fondant and pieces in bakery boxes out of heat and direct flourescent or sunlight I believe it holds it color better. Can you mix shades of purple? Make some roses or rosettes in lavendar and others in brighter purple. That way if one fades it doesn't look so odd ball.

cakification Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 6

Great suggestions.. Thank you! I'm going to see if i can buy any Pre made purple.. And I'll see how that holds up.. The wedding isn't until august so I have lots of time to practice..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%