Simple Baker Looking For A Simple Way To Price Cakes

Decorating By borerunner42 Updated 28 Mar 2011 , 2:16pm by TexasSugar

borerunner42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
borerunner42 Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 6:01am
post #1 of 3

Hi to all of you wonderful CC forum readers and Helpers!

I am just a small time baker, usually just selling cakes here and there. I know that setting a cake pricing grid/chart is very complex. I have read several posts about cake pricing, but I still feel confused I guess because I am not making wedding cakes-mainly just party cakes.
Does anyone have suggestions on an average or range to charge for cakes? Whether it be by servings or by size of cake?
For instance, I have a cake order for next week-a 8" and 10" stacked tier for a 3 yr old Birthday party. My thoughts are to charge $105. (I don't know if this is the way to figure it out, but my method for that price was what I thought I would charge for each tier separately: $45 for the 8" and $60 for the 10"). If I have the servings right, approx 60-that's $1.75 per serving. Am I way off?
I want to have fair prices, but also don't want to work for less than minimum wage. I know it's probably a fine line.
Thank you for baring with my long drawn out question!

2 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 6:11am
post #2 of 3

Shouldn't matter if it is a party cake or a wedding cake your price per serving should be consistant. $1.75 per serving is very low, even most grocery stores start at $1.85 per serving on stacked cakes. YOu have to consider all ingredients, paper goods, bags, parchment, wrap, electricity, gas, your time, etc. then decide how much profit over an above that you want to make.

I personally only fix price my sheet cakes and the 8" 2 layer round basic/kit cakes. anything else I refer to my price grid I created.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 3

Pricing a cake doesn't have to be complicated, but it does require doing some math. There isn't an average cake price because there are so many things that factor into the pricing.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-694973-pricing.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%