Which Is Better...pilsbury, Betty Crocker, Or Duncan Hines?

Baking By cyndi8604 Updated 23 Jun 2011 , 5:43am by labarradulce

DaniNicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaniNicole Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 1:46pm
post #31 of 49

I have been using Duncan Hines (it has been 10 for $10) and I will use Betty Crocker from time to time, but Duncan Hines has really started to grow on me...

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 11:57am
post #32 of 49

Everyone was raving about the cake served at a funeral dinner. I asked the lady who made it if she would share her recipe as the cake was moist, and cut like a dream with not a lot of crumbs.
She used BC and used 3 whole eggs instead of just the whites. I have been a big fan ever since and to doctor them up I replace some of the water with liquors, coffee creamers or syrups, etc.

sweetbeesbakeshop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbeesbakeshop Posted 25 May 2011 , 4:49pm
post #33 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSquad

Did a taste test with a group of friend cakers some time ago, made 8" cakes, all the same way using the most popular name brands and Aldi's brand yellow cake. Each cake was given a letter. They had to choose the letter of the cake that had the best taste and texture. Aldi's won. I couldn't believe it.

All of Aldi's products are made by a name brand company-and the label is just different. Since they don't have to brand, market, stock shelves, or bag groceries they get to sell them at such a discount. I've found that a lot of Aldi's brands are just as good as the name brand.

I also use Aldi mixes for my white cake.. only $0.89/box can't beat it once you add stuff to doctor it up icon_smile.gif

dchinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchinda Posted 25 May 2011 , 5:27pm
post #34 of 49

My vote is for Duncan Hines. I always get compliments on how moist my cakes are. They are usually on sale at King Soopers too.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 25 May 2011 , 5:44pm
post #35 of 49

I per say only use Phillbury , I have tried the DH and BC and my end result I'm not so fond of.

As you can see with your post of course everyone had different opinions;
It just a matter of what you get accustomed to I suppose they are all great but we all have different ways of doctoring the recipe that some brands work better for us than others.

it on on going battle lol !!!!

Have a great one and happy baking.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 25 May 2011 , 6:02pm
post #36 of 49

DH only. BC too sweet, Pillsbury too iffy.

SweetcakesCT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetcakesCT Posted 25 May 2011 , 6:18pm
post #37 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbeesbakeshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSquad

Did a taste test with a group of friend cakers some time ago, made 8" cakes, all the same way using the most popular name brands and Aldi's brand yellow cake. Each cake was given a letter. They had to choose the letter of the cake that had the best taste and texture. Aldi's won. I couldn't believe it.

All of Aldi's products are made by a name brand company-and the label is just different. Since they don't have to brand, market, stock shelves, or bag groceries they get to sell them at such a discount. I've found that a lot of Aldi's brands are just as good as the name brand.

I also use Aldi mixes for my white cake.. only $0.89/box can't beat it once you add stuff to doctor it up icon_smile.gif

That's interesting to know about Aldi's, as there's one right down the street from me. My mother, who's 92, swears by that store!! icon_smile.gif

Marina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marina Posted 25 May 2011 , 6:27pm
post #38 of 49

I only use what works for me and that is Pillsbury. Dh and BC have ALWAYS given me problems!!!

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 25 May 2011 , 6:34pm
post #39 of 49

I love Aldi cakes too. I was hesitant to buy one but the first one I made was yellow and everyone kept asking me the recipe. I doctor all of my cake mixes but Aldi seems to be the best and you can't beat the price. On the other hand, I tried Pillsbury the other day because I was in a bigger store and it was horrible. My friend walked by and took a bite of the cake and said, "Well, that was like eating a sponge, there's no taste at all!" And she was right. So it's either Aldi or DH for me!

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 25 May 2011 , 6:40pm
post #40 of 49

I use Aldis almost exclusively for chocolate, white and yellow (that's all they carry). Mostly DH for everything else. I'm pretty sure DH makes Aldis, the amount of mix in the box is the same.

sweetbeesbakeshop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbeesbakeshop Posted 26 May 2011 , 12:32pm
post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by langranny

I use Aldis almost exclusively for chocolate, white and yellow (that's all they carry). Mostly DH for everything else. I'm pretty sure DH makes Aldis, the amount of mix in the box is the same.

I think you're write about DH making the Aldi brand, they taste a lot alike! I made some strawberry cupcakes last night with Aldi's white mix..had previously used Lowes Food storebrand white cake mix last week. My fiance tried the Aldi version last night and was like "OMG...these taste SO much better than the last batch. What'd you do different??" So Aldi's it is!!!

Kristie925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristie925 Posted 26 May 2011 , 12:48pm
post #42 of 49

I use DH for almost all of my flavors. There are a few flavors that I can't find by DH at my grocery, so I just buy whatever is cheaper. Pilsbury is the only one I try to avoid.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 26 May 2011 , 12:54pm
post #43 of 49

I lOVE DH!! It really has grown on me,,but one problem I've had lately is I just moved from California to South Carolina and I cannot find DH on sale anywhere..it's been like $1.25-2.99 each!! If anyone is in South Carolina and have a grocer in mind for finding this brand cheap like 10/$10,...please let me know! In Cali,,it was ALWAYS on sale like either .75 or 10/$10 somewhere! Ever wally world, it's high..but DH is for me and maybe BC sometimes,,but pillsbury..eh...not a fan of pillsbury..

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 26 May 2011 , 2:38pm
post #44 of 49

Hands down, Duncan Hines. Duncan's swiss chocolate cake mix is the one cake mix that I get soooo many compliments on. It's the best.

To me, the other's don't compare to Duncan Hines!!

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 26 May 2011 , 2:42pm
post #45 of 49

I'm a huge fan of dh but bc is also great. I've seen Walmart's great value brand but haven't tried it yet - anyone know if it's ok tasting and ok for fondanting?

integlspwr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
integlspwr Posted 27 May 2011 , 9:23pm
post #46 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmysmoother

I'm a huge fan of dh but bc is also great. I've seen Walmart's great value brand but haven't tried it yet - anyone know if it's ok tasting and ok for fondanting?

ill give the Great Value brand cake mix a try when I see it.

its not in hawaii yet.

V_Dizzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
V_Dizzle Posted 31 May 2011 , 5:27pm
post #47 of 49

I've never been able to successfully use ANY box mix and fondant unless it was a pound cake, it seems to be too moist and always sags on me. Maybe it's because I barely have an idea of what I'm doing haha

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 4:14pm
post #48 of 49

man! the way I got attacked on another blog, i was afraid to mention that I use cake mixes. I thought I would be criticized. I, myself, use all three different brands. I doctor up my mixes, so I really don't realize the difference, and I have the same problem with all 3 when I add fruit. They always fall, and I don't know why. Anyway glad to know that I am not the only one using box mixes. icon_biggrin.gif

labarradulce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labarradulce Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 5:43am
post #49 of 49

I havent used Duncan Hines `cause in guatemala Walmart doesn sell it thumbsdown.gif

but I have used Betty Crocker, Pyllsbury and HyTop brand and the 3 worked well (except of HyTop butter mix this cake was nooot good)

I have also used local brands that are cheaper and the result was almost the same, iVe found that the quality of my cakes depend of the brand of CREAM I used!!

When I used the "farm" cream that isnt that comercial to be sold in Walmart, the result is better than when I used the " Comercial" more expensive brands that have pretty packages and a lot of marketing :p

soooo for now I prefer betty Crocker and the guatemalan brands with 100% guatemalan farms cream icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%