Making A Buttercream Icing (With Real Butter) White

Baking By Keciak Updated 28 Mar 2011 , 5:09am by aviles2005

Keciak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Keciak Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 6:25am
post #1 of 8

When people say they are using a butter cream - are they actually using butter or is it primarily the all shortening version? If you use any butter - how do you get a white frosting?

7 replies
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 8:22am
post #2 of 8

Butter will always make it an off white shade... you can add wilton white to make it whiter...but for perfect white, no butter...... unless anyone else knows something I don't icon_wink.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 10:26am
post #3 of 8

I think some add a touch of purple to neutralize the yellow.... but yeah a little off white is just the way it is icon_smile.gif

Keciak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Keciak Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you. Off white it is going to be. I guess all the cakes I see in the photos that are so white are all shortening or fondant. Can't bring myself to eating the all shortening frosting. Even with the high ratio it doesn't taste good. I may have to experiment with some other recipes until I get one I like.

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keciak

Thank you. Off white it is going to be. I guess all the cakes I see in the photos that are so white are all shortening or fondant. Can't bring myself to eating the all shortening frosting. Even with the high ratio it doesn't taste good. I may have to experiment with some other recipes until I get one I like.

thumbs_up.gif
I totally agree. I cannot use shortening. Just can't.

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 8

If you don't enjoy the taste of all shortening and want a bridal white icing you can look into a cream cheese buttercream which uses cream cheese and shortening. icon_smile.gif

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 8

I use all butter icing. I beat the butter alot before adding the milk and icing sugar (in 2 parts). Then I beat and beat and beat. The icing gets whiter the longer you beat it. I use 200g of butter per 1kg of icing sugar (not sure what the cup measurements would be) and about 3/4 cup milk (slightly warmed). Even so, it's still not pure white.

aviles2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aviles2005 Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 5:09am
post #8 of 8

YUP!! Just keep beating. The longer you beat it the whiter it will get

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%