Guitar Cakes

Decorating By cannoliqueen Updated 30 Mar 2011 , 3:20pm by SammieB

cannoliqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cannoliqueen Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 25

I am making a guitae cake next week for a very demanding client. In the past I have just piped "strings" of the guitar on with icing. I have tried using spaghetti (not long enough), fondant extruded from a clay gun (too messy) and fishing line (won't stay straight). Anybody have any alternate ideas for strings?

24 replies
Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 25

How about the kind of very thin wire used for making jewellery that you buy on a roll or metallic thread.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 25

I think that if you get black licorish (I think I spelled that right) and you could cut into sized strips you need and using the microwave to warm, taking them out and rolling them together until the fuse together to desirded length, idk but I think it would work! HTH

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 25

i found that silver thread worked great. i used sucker sticks at the neck of the guitar and wrapped the string around there then had it going all the way down to the pickups where there were shorter sucker sticks and wrapped them in there. i found that worked the best for me. hth. i've a pic in my photos to help explain better. good luck!

amberlou16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlou16 Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 25

I made a cake for my step-daughter's birthday, and used the string licorice. It worked out perfectly! I would recommend laying it out for a little while before you put it on the cake, since it tends to curl a little.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 25

I'm just finishing up a guitar cake for this weekend....I used some silver embroidery floss and then stiffened it with a sugar solution and then stretched them out and let them dry pulled straight on a board...it didn't make them hard, but made them stiff enough to pull straight. I haven't stringed the guitar completely yet, doing that in the morning. icon_smile.gif

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 25

I used icing with some piping gel for my guitar stings. I laid out a piece of sting as a guide on the cake and then just piped along the string.

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 8:30pm
post #8 of 25

I just did a guitar cake last week, and I found some metallic cross stitch thread that worked great! I did an acoustic guitar and I actually threaded the strings like I would on a real guitar. I put them through a modeling chocolate bridge, and modeling chocolate keys. It worked really well!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Kitagrl Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 8:41pm
post #9 of 25

Maybe it was the same thread! Although I tried to stiffen mine and while it worked, next time I won't...it made it harder to wind at the end.

I used dowels to attach the thread.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1984500

SammieB Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 9:40pm
post #10 of 25

Wow Kitagrl, your cake is amazing! Puts mine to shame. icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 9:49pm
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieB

Wow Kitagrl, your cake is amazing! Puts mine to shame. icon_smile.gif

No, yours looks great too! And I think that thread worked great for the strings, don't you?

SammieB Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 9:53pm
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

No, yours looks great too! And I think that thread worked great for the strings, don't you?

Oh yeah, it really did. It was easy enough to pull taut and stay that way. Great minds think alike.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 10:54pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannoliqueen

fondant extruded from a clay gun (too messy)

This is what I do. Not sure what you mean by too messy. How is it messy? That has not been my experience.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 12:00am
post #14 of 25

I like to try to keep things edible. Doesn't always work out, but I found out one way to make guitar strings.
I put a piece of aluminum foil inside the disk on my extruder so that only two or three strands of fondant come out. This way they are easier to control. I lay them out on wax paper as they come out of the extruder, getting them as long as I need. I paint the gray fondant with silver luster dust. I've had pretty good luck with this, but I've only made two guitar cakes.

Here's one of them:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hjscakes/5198180539/

Hope this helps.

Kitagrl Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 12:50am
post #15 of 25

Your cake is great too, pooh!!!

My customer specifically said she wanted her guitar cake so realistic that her husband would think he could pick it up and play it. Thus, I decided to incorporate some non-edibles....

tryingcake Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 1:34am
post #16 of 25

Well, if that's the case - you have to use guitar strings. Nothing looks like guitar strings except guitar strings.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 2:15am
post #17 of 25

Thanks, Kitagirl,
And you definitely fulfilled your client's wish. That guitar cake you made does look like you could pick it up and play it! Amazing work!

SammieB Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 2:48am
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

Well, if that's the case - you have to use guitar strings. Nothing looks like guitar strings except guitar strings.

True, but real guitar strings would be really difficult to put on a cake. It's enough of a pain stringing a real guitar! I can't imagine trying to get them taut without damaging the cake.

tryingcake Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 4:20am
post #19 of 25

I can't either, I never said this is what I would do. Based on her criteria, that's the only way to go, anything else will not look like you want to pick up the guitar and play it... not at all.

The embroidery string will not cut it at all.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 6:48am
post #20 of 25

I made an electric guitar cake and used 1mm silver stringing elastic jewelry cord that I bought at Michael's for around $2.00. It worked very well as I could attach it and "tighten" the strings just like on a real guitar. I've actually used it on 2 guitar cakes so far and found it to be the easiest and the most realistic...IMHO. (Electric guitar and Hannah Montana guitar in my photos.)

Kitagrl...your guitar is AMAZING and yes it looks like you could pick it up and play it!! GREAT JOB!! thumbs_up.gif

Good luck with your cake cannoliqueen. icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 1:23pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:

I can't either, I never said this is what I would do. Based on her criteria, that's the only way to go, anything else will not look like you want to pick up the guitar and play it... not at all.

I'll just pretend you are not purposely saying that to knock the guitar cake I just posted in this thread, using the embroidery thread. LOL.

I'm sure you don't mean to sound as snarky as you're coming across.

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 3:01pm
post #22 of 25

Thanks poohsmama for directing me to this thread. I am making a guitar this weekend for my sons Rock Star 7th Birthday party. I did buy the embroidery thread and Kitagirl your guitar looks very real so I am going to try that. I dont have an extruder so I cant do that. Everyone who posted pictures your guitars look great!I hope mine will look like all of yours!

tryingcake Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 10:46pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:

I'll just pretend you are not purposely saying that to knock the guitar cake I just posted in this thread, using the embroidery thread. LOL.

I'm sure you don't mean to sound as snarky as you're coming across.

Your guitar cake was fantastic, but I meant what I said, the strings do not look like guitar strings. The OP wants something that the guitar player will want to pick up and play. While your cake in and of itself may have fit the bill (and I honestly was impressed) the strings do not. They don't look a thing like guitar strings. Only guitar strings look like guitar strings.

Now if the person who ordered the cake want to join us in the real world and accept that this is ultimately a cake, no the real thing and the strings will not look real (which is exactly what I would tell my customer) then she is good to go. But from her description nothing less than realistic will do. Just Sayin.......

I, honestly, was impressed with your idea of using floss (and I will be stealing that idea). But they don't look at all like thick, course hard guitar strings.

And, again, to be honest, I didn't say a word about your cake one way or the other.... that's all on you and your insecurities. I simply mentioned strings in the case of THIS proposed cake.... no others.

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 3:34am
post #24 of 25

Wow icon_surprised.gif

Kitagirl, as always your ideas and cakes rock. thumbs_up.gif

I am not sure why forums get ugly, but here we go again.

oi! icon_rolleyes.gif

SammieB Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 3:20pm
post #25 of 25

Kitagirl, you're much nicer than me. I wouldn't have chosen the word snarky. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%