How To Use Silicone Letter Mold?

Decorating By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 27 Mar 2011 , 11:07am by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 6

I have this silicone letter mold that I got from global sugar art, (I don't know the brand, I lost the packaging) but it makes letters that look like the one on this cake
Forgive the awfulness of that cake, I made it LOL

When I made that I didn't really know how to use it so I just kinda pressed the fondant and cut them into tiles. Is there another way or technique to do this? I would like it to just be the letters and not squares or tiles.

Thanks in advance![/img]

5 replies
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 6:16am
post #2 of 6

No replies so I just did it the same way but I'd really like to know if there's another way to use this. I have a lot of these silicone mold thingies that I got and I feel like i just wasted money on them. icon_sad.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 8:05am
post #3 of 6

Sorry, to say it but I think you have wasted you money on them, unfortunately. I say this because I wasted my money on them too. I could never get gumpaste or fondant out of them easily without wrecking the letters, and it's so time consuming filling the little holes & getting the backs neat to start with. Unless there is some magic trick that I don't know about. There is one thing that I'm thinking might work with them, and that is sugarveil, but I've not used sugarveil before so I'm just speculating. It's a shame because they're a nice font.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 8:08am
post #4 of 6

...I also bought some cute flamingo molds from First Impressions, unfortunately I've never got those to work either...the legs are impossible to get out without breaking them. I got all excited when I first discovered molds for cake decorating, but have since vowed never to buy any more. Besides which I find hand-modelling much more satisfying anyway.

sweetaudrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetaudrey Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 8:18am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

No replies so I just did it the same way but I'd really like to know if there's another way to use this. I have a lot of these silicone mold thingies that I got and I feel like i just wasted money on them. icon_sad.gif

Have you tried any other medium besides the fondant? What about poured chocolate or sugar/Isomalt? Maybe Sugarveil even? Coat the mold with mold release (I've heard it's like a petrolium jelly) or even veggie shortening would probably help. The shortening might give a sheen to the fondant, but I'm guessing it would come out alot easier atleast. I hope you have better luck finding some way of using them! Personally, I think it would be neat to paint white chocolate into the actual letters of the mold, let set for a little bit, and then pour dark chocolate over that, into the tile area. That would let you see the lettters more. =]

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 11:07am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

Sorry, to say it but I think you have wasted you money on them, unfortunately. I say this because I wasted my money on them too. I could never get gumpaste or fondant out of them easily without wrecking the letters, and it's so time consuming filling the little holes & getting the backs neat to start with. Unless there is some magic trick that I don't know about. There is one thing that I'm thinking might work with them, and that is sugarveil, but I've not used sugarveil before so I'm just speculating. It's a shame because they're a nice font.

icon_sad.gif I'm beginning to think the same way. Their products werepimped so much when I had the money to buy. I even have the insects, the gems and some flowers, etc.

sweetaudrey, i love you! Why haven't I thought of that? Of course chocolate would work! Maybe freeze them for a bit and then release. I will give that a try! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%