Really Need To Refrigerate Dreamwhip & Choc Syrup Fillin

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 6:47pm by LindaF144a

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:57am
post #1 of 7

I made a chocolate mousse filling (like the Costco one) with dreamwhip (according to pkg directions) and chocolate syrup. Do I really need to refrigerate this?
The reason I ask is because Indydebi's BC is not refrigerated and it has milk and dreamwhip (though not whipped up). I understand the reason for this is that the sugar acts as a preservative. It does have less milk than the mousse, but would the sugary chocolate syrup not serve the same purpose in this case? Maybe that's a stretch, but I can't seem to find a straight answer! I have even emailed Kraft (no response yet)...
TIA

6 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 7

Hershey's syrup says to refrigereate after opening. I also believe the Dream Whip should be refrigerated after making it according to the package directions. Since both items need to be refrigerated by themselves, I think you probably still need to do so after combining.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 7

Sorry, my error- it's Nesquik and does not need refrigeration after opening.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 7

Hmm, I don't know then. Hopefully someone else will know. Personally, I would still refrigerate it, but I tend to be very careful because I get sick easily.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 7

I think the only reason you would refrigerate dream whip would be so it is cold not to preserve it.

Claireybear1121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claireybear1121 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 7

Refrigeration is a sensitive subject, because the vast majority of times when a product says to keep refrigerated it does so only as a CYA measure. However, you certainly don't want to be the person that accidentally sickens someone with a spoiled filling/icing. I guess in the end it is a store-at-your-own-risk judgement call. Most things that are super high in sugar content will be fine unrefrigerated in the short term, I agree with CakeRN that dream whip is probably recommended to stay in the fridge to keep it from becoming soft or warm.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 6:47pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claireybear1121

Refrigeration is a sensitive subject, because the vast majority of times when a product says to keep refrigerated it does so only as a CYA measure. However, you certainly don't want to be the person that accidentally sickens someone with a spoiled filling/icing. I guess in the end it is a store-at-your-own-risk judgement call. Most things that are super high in sugar content will be fine unrefrigerated in the short term, I agree with CakeRN that dream whip is probably recommended to stay in the fridge to keep it from becoming soft or warm.

Off topic, but oooooh, another NYer. Where in upstate NY? Often times it means right outside of NYC. I live in what we call the true upstate, by the Lake. And you?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%