Shortening-Based Buttercream Fix?

Baking By jcorrj Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 11:47pm by jcorrj

jcorrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcorrj Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:57am
post #1 of 5

I have just made a huge batch of vanilla buttercream for a baby shower cake I am making for Saturday. The buttercream will go under fondant and as a filling for a red velvet cake. Since I am new to this, I used a popular recipe on CC without trying it first. It is a shortening-based buttercream and, from what I read, is THE recipe to use. Regardless, I made it and now I feel like, for me, it's too greasy or slick in my mouth. My husband thinks it tastes fine. I was wondering, because I need more buttercream anyway can I make a batch of butter-based buttercream and then mix the two batches together? I'd prefer not to throw my big 'ole batch away. If mixing the two isn't a good idea, are there any other fixes for this situation?

Thank you for any help. I'm obsessing over this cake!

4 replies
la_Torta_Dulce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
la_Torta_Dulce Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:19am
post #2 of 5

Mixing them should be fine and help the problem. Also, you could try adding more confectioner's sugar to the first batch? For future reference, I've found that equal parts shortening and butter work well for American Buttercream. Have you tried IMBC or SMBC? Those might be more of a consistency you like. HTH

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:21am
post #3 of 5

Sometimes this happens to me, too. To adjust the texture, I will add milk 1/2 to 1 teaspoon at a time. I can usually get it right, but it takes some time, because you are adding a little bit of milk, letting it run in your mixer, trying it, adding a little more milk, mixing it, trying it. I have never combined two different bc recipes before. I would be nervous to do that, because the two different textures (shortening bc vs butter based bc) may not combine well. Hope this helps!

preciosa225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciosa225 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:23am
post #4 of 5

Sorry that I don't have an exact answer to your question of can you mix the both together or not BUT if you want a good buttercream recipe you should try BUTTERCREAM DREAM. It is half butter and half shortening and it is great! Also, hi ratio shortening is best for using in buttercream as far as mouth feel is concerned if you ask me. Regular (crico type) shortening gives a real greasy/gritty taste but hi ratio shortening is very smooth.

HTH

jcorrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcorrj Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much for your help. I added milk to it today and it is MUCH tastier! Also, I will definitely try the Buttercream Dream next time as I think the mixture of shortening and butter would be great.

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%