Another Mooching Friend Post....

Decorating By TwoLittleEs Updated 29 Mar 2011 , 1:18am by JulieMN

TwoLittleEs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TwoLittleEs Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 12:47am
post #1 of 12

Sorry. Just wanted to vent...

A friend got engaged over the weekend and left me a voicemail asking if I could make her wedding cake. I happily agreed and followed up to ask when she'd be available to talk cake details. She hadn't responded yet but I just heard from the Maid of Honor that she is bragging about getting a free wedding cake from me. WHAT??

I was planning on giving her a 25% discount (which is very generous, I think) and haven't even been able to tell her this and off she goes, blabbing to friends and family about a supposedly free cake that I never heard about or agreed to! What the heck?!?! My business isn't just mine...I have a partner and there is no way that I'm going to have her spend days working on a free wedding cake for someone she doesn't know.

SO ANNOYING. Anyway, thanks for listening!

11 replies
mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 12:53am
post #2 of 12

So the first thing out of your mouth after, "Wow! Congratulations!" will be, "So, I'm so excited about your cake - what's your budget for it?" and see if she'll explain about you giving it for free.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 12:55am
post #3 of 12

mcaulir, That's a great response. I hope the OP does exactly that.

TwoLittleEs Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:00am
post #4 of 12

Definitely, mcaulir! Those will definitely be the first words I say...I just can't believe how quick she was to assume that I would make something that huge for free. Some people.... icon_smile.gif

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:01am
post #5 of 12

Well of course you are expected to provide a free cake you are a baker right? and her friend right? lol This seems to be one of my biggest issues. DH swears we are going broke from all my free cakes! I finally told family that one free cake for each of my nieces and nephews the bigger problem I have 47 of them! Well, having a partner sounds like your way out of this one.

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:05am
post #6 of 12

You will have to keep us posted on that one. I can't wait to hear what she says.

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:31am
post #7 of 12

Oh, wow. The nerve. I would be pretty offended that someone would assume they were getting a free cake. No one gets free unless we share DNA!

I wouldn't even expect a discount. My friends are valuable to me, so I would never assume that their time, effort and expertise didn't hold value. If anything, I would immediately offer to pay full price and refuse any discount as a way of supporting their endeavor. With the time spent, equipment and materials used, giving your friend a "free" cake is equivalent to you paying her for the honor *snort* of making her a cake!

My sister owns a bar/lounge, and when I go, I pay. My sister gets upset with me and tells the staff to comp my drinks, but I always convince them to allow me to pay and tip. She sees it as me being family, I see it as free drinks for me is food out of my nephew's mouth!

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:13am
post #8 of 12

TwolittleEs, I agree with mcaulir!! ( An excellent response that we ALL could learn from!!) and, Sorelle, if I were you, I would limit that to one cake per niece/nephew PERIOD!! Let their parents decide on which "milestone" birthday that they would like you to honor your gift. All other birthdays, I think that if they want you to do the cake, they should pay what everyone else does, and your "gift" to them can be something from a store just like everyone else in the family that doesnt have your talent!!

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 5:57am
post #9 of 12

I had the same issue and was just about to post about it. No date was set, but i'm booked solid and my mother is the only person who gets free cake other than hubby and my new baby girl. UNLESS, I feel like being generous. People have nerves.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 1:52am
post #10 of 12

Dear Assuming Bride-to-be,
My partner and I are excited to be making the cake for your up-coming wedding. We're so happy you decided to use our business for your very special occasion. I have your date penciled-in on my calendar. I don't use ink until at least half of the deposit is paid...it's our store policy.

As soon as you have more details about the venue and have gathered some ideas about the cake you would like, we will set up a time to have a tasting and get things written up for your order.
Please have in mind how much your budget will be for the cake and since you are a friend we will be giving you a 25% discount on the order.
Looking forward to getting together with you and your fiance soon.

Professional Baker
Don't mess with me, I do this for a living,
Have a nice day =o)

Okay leave off that last part.
I think getting it in writing will let her know where you stand and keeps the MOH ( bless her for telling you what was up!) out of this mess.

mommachris

TwoLittleEs Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 3:02pm
post #11 of 12

Mommachris, that is perfect! I used a slightly edited version of your note and sent it to her. No response from her end yet....will let you guys know!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 1:18am
post #12 of 12

Some people's children! You got (and used) some excellent advice. Can't wait to hear what comes next.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%