How Much To Charge For Newbie

Decorating By Babyblonde37 Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 5:18pm by adamsmom

Babyblonde37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babyblonde37 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 2

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1982516

6" chocolate/ganache/fondant/gumpaste, filled

Totally have insecurity about charging for cakes so don't know what is appropriate that people will actually pay. This cake was for myself so just as an example for a cake this size.

THANKS!!!

1 reply
adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 2

I would have to say it all depends on many, many facotrs. First, what are your costs for supplies (all of your cake ingredients, fondant, icing, etc, etc). Second, how much do you want to get paid per hour for your work. Third, what is the average cost of cakes in your area at different bakeries? What is your skill set in comparison to theirs? Fourth, is it legal for you to sell baked goods out of your home in your state/county?? I would contact your local health dept to find out for sure. Lastly, if you're not comfortable charging money for your cakes, then it may not be for you. This is not meant by any means to discourage you, I've seen too many people who just aren't made out to be in business because they feel so bad about charging that they undercut their cost and actually loose money. There are a lot of things to take into consideration before charging. Good luck and I hope all turns out well for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%