Tylose Substitute?

Decorating By QuiteContrary Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 2:15pm by QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QuiteContrary Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 8

Can Wilton Gum Tex be used to stiffen up MMF and will it have the same effect as tylose powder? Do any modifications have to be made to the MMF recipe when this is done?

7 replies
Claireybear1121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claireybear1121 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 8

I've also wondered about this, I've never really needed fondant to be stiffer than what powdered sugar will do, but I can certainly see it coming up eventually!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 8

yes, in the wilton class of fondant and g/p , we use gumtex(1 1/2 - 2 tsp. of gumtex to pound of fondant. This will make g/p used for the flowers ,etc. . Is this what you are asking. hth

Mfattore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mfattore Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 8

I thought they were the same. Gumtex is just what Wilton calls thier product, maybe I am wrong though. I use it all the time and it works great.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:25am
post #5 of 8

Gum tex is gum karaya. Tylose is a trade name for CMC--carboxymethylcellulose. They aren't the same, but they generally do the same thing. Sometimes, gum tex isn't as white as tylose.

Rae

QuiteContrary Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for clearing that up for me BladesCakes and icer101. I tried some gumtex in my fondant once and it did not really make it much stiffer, maybe I did not put in enough.

I also read that you need to add the gumtex and leave it overnight to develop which I also did not do. Does anyone know about this step?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:58pm
post #7 of 8

And you can buy CMC--carboxymethylcellulose, without the Tylose brand name, for a tiny fraction of the price of Tylose here...

http://www.shopchefrubber.com/product.php?productid=14818&cat=1584&page=2

QuiteContrary Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:15pm
post #8 of 8

I found a set of postings on the topic. Hope this helps somebody like it helped me.

I just hope I can send the link properly icon_redface.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=648342&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%